Addons not syncing

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
SeahawksXLVIII

Addons not syncing

Post by SeahawksXLVIII »

I set Firefox to sync everything before logging in on a new machine. I waited 20 minutes before logging into the new computer to make sure everything was synced. I have waited less time before and everything was synced. but addons are not syncing on my new Firefox. I do not see any icons in the toolbar for my addons and it tells me that there are no extensions when I go to Tools—Addons.

I sat there 5 minutes before closing Firefox on the new computer after logging in to make sure that everything was synced. But upon restarting Firefox on the new computer, no addons were installed and I have no addons on my new computer.
Reflective

Re: Addons not syncing

Post by Reflective »

the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Add-on extensions don't really get sync'd, they are installed directly from the add-ons server based upon what Sync reads in the extensions.ini file of the Profile that seeds the Sync data. If the Add-ons server is running slow it may take a day or two to synchronize a new Firefox installation / new Profile. Also, extensions that aren't hosted by Mozilla won't get sync'd at all; Sync won't look to non-Mozilla servers for installing add-ons like Firefox does when an extension developer hosts his own updates on "foreign" servers as specified in the install.rdf file for each particular extension.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Happy112

Post by Happy112 »

Reflective wrote:See this tutorial: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/sy ... py-firefox
Good for you to mention this !
Note: Add-on sync currently only works on desktop Firefox and Firefox for tablets. It doesn't work on Firefox for smaller mobile devices.