FF version 51 Performance Problems on Fox News

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
mjdz7

FF version 51 Performance Problems on Fox News

Post by mjdz7 »

I am using Firefox 51 on Windows 7.

For several months, whenever the Firefox browser opens a Fox News Web page, the browser has been loading pages extremely slowly. Videos take 45 or more seconds to load. The keyboard and mouse become sluggish, locking up for 2-3 seconds at a time. Even after the Web page has finished loading, the keyboard and mouse continue to be sluggish.

My memory consumption goes way too high, and my swap file keeps maxing out.

I also notice that on the status bar, I see numerous messages about (what I believe to be) tracking programs that are trying to gather information.

These performance problems are specific to the Fox News Web site only.

I have spent a lot of time trying to troubleshoot this problem. I disabled various extensions, for example, but this didn't help. Finally, I just identified and eliminated the performance problem by making the following two configuration changes:

1. I disabled the Firefox "Block Pop-up Windows" feature under Tools > Options > Content.

2. I selected "Accept Third Party Cookies" under Tools > Options > Privacy > History.

Now, I get normal performance when loading a Fox News Web page.

I just thought that if anybody else is having this problem, they might want to know about my solution.
dfoulkes

Re: FF version 51 Performance Problems on Fox News

Post by dfoulkes »

1. I disabled the Firefox "Block Pop-up Windows" feature under Tools > Options > Content.

2. I selected "Accept Third Party Cookies" under Tools > Options > Privacy > History.
Maybe this tread needs to be moved to Support... not sure... but...

1. I have number 1 in your list active... blocks stuff... but, it also has an exception area... maybe you need to check that out?
2. I also have that item active in my settings... but see below..

Among other extensions I use u-Block-origin (mainly to block ads) ... but you might want to read up on it..

I also use this extension which helps to keep the profile clean... might want to look at it...
Self-Destructing Cookies :: Add-ons for Firefox
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
LIMPET235

Re: FF version 51 Performance Problems on Fox News

Post by LIMPET235 »

This is not a "feature."

Moving to Firefox Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)