Flash down to a crawl

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dfoulkes

Re: Flash down to a crawl

Post by dfoulkes »

Tried rebooting your PC into safe-mode? and then start your Firefox and test it then... remember that in this mode you have no AV running....if it runs good then your AV stuff probably has something to do with it.... plus, it's been mentioned that you turned off your BIT ... but some stuff can still run... that PC-safe-mode assures that no AV is running.

BTW... I went back and tried both of those links that you posted in your first post... I used my minimal test profile (too much in this one to rule-out-in problems) ... 'and' both worked fine.... and just a FYI... using Avast here.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

to make it short

Use OTL to offer system details
http://www.trojaner-board.de/85104-otl- ... timer.html

download, these options
+ scan all users
+ skip microsoft files
+ LOP
+ Purity
+ programs -> ALL (not safe-list)
+ output: standard
"SCAN"

Put result from otl.txt and extras.txt to pastebin.com!
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

dfoulkes wrote:Tried rebooting your PC into safe-mode? and then start your Firefox and test it then... remember that in this mode you have no AV running....if it runs good then your AV stuff probably has something to do with it.... plus, it's been mentioned that you turned off your BIT ... but some stuff can still run... that PC-safe-mode assures that no AV is running.

BTW... I went back and tried both of those links that you posted in your first post... I used my minimal test profile (too much in this one to rule-out-in problems) ... 'and' both worked fine.... and just a FYI... using Avast here.
1--What's BIT? BitDefender? If it were blocking something, it would be in the log, but it's not. I just figured out how to turn it off for a minute, and the Flash problem persists.

2--I know those links are good bec I tried them in Opera and Chrome.

3--Win 7 in Safe-Mode:
Oddly the Flash game and a random Flash video both played, although there was no sound. Don't know if that's normal for Safe-Mode. Does that tell us it's something in my system interfering w Flash? That's a needle in a haystack. #-o. BD was off, but so were many other processes.

4--Used your uninstaller program instead of Revo, then reinstalled. Problem persists in both FF profiles.
Last edited by lovemyfoxy on May 20th, 2017, 6:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Brummelchen wrote:to make it short

Use OTL to offer system details
http://www.trojaner-board.de/85104-otl- ... timer.html

download, these options
+ scan all users
+ skip microsoft files
+ LOP
+ Purity
+ programs -> ALL (not safe-list)
+ output: standard
"SCAN"

Put result from otl.txt and extras.txt to pastebin.com!
I do utilities only in English.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

just do it please, the terms are much equivalent. the culprit seems to be in your system, not in firefox. either we work together or we stop it right here because pointless - we are on page 3 now with no result!
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:
1--What's BIT? BitDefender? If it were blocking something, it would be in the log, but it's not. I just figured out how to turn it off for a minute, and the Flash problem persists.

2--I know those links are good bec I tried them in Opera and Chrome.

3--Win 7 in Safe-Mode:
Oddly the Flash game and a random Flash video both played, although there was no sound. Don't know if that's normal for Safe-Mode. Does that tell us it's something in my system interfering w Flash? That's a needle in a haystack. #-o. BD was off, but so were many other processes.
About BIT .... yes, if there were no problems with it then its log would be accurate... but if it's got a problem then who knows what it is doing...

Sites work but no sound.
It could be that you had no sound due do ... yes, safe-mode disabling it? ... or you have a special sound card installed? ... or ??? ... but it sounds like the may problem (Firefox) is cleared up when your PC is in safe-mode and all that I know relating to that (specifically) is that 'all' 3rd party AV products are completely ignored in that mode... that's what I was trying to get to... 'and' I don't know what the specific problem is but it at least got you more info about this... know what I mean? I read above where Bit was working on some issue... maybe it's this one??? ...
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Sound card- probably built-in, but I'm not concerned in Safe-Mode.

I think it's only the most recent Flash, which looks very troublesome on the Flash forum. I can change to another free A-V, but not Avast. How about MS Security Essentials? I used it in XP with no problems.

IT'S TIME TO STOP USING FLASH!!
This forum has 34,963 complaints about Flash, while only 2 queries ask about keeping 500 tabs open. :turn-l:

Why can't Mz have a native way to play Flash, the way it does with PDF's? ](*,)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I can change to another free A-V, but not Avast. How about MS Security Essentials? I used it in XP with no problems.
I'm sure that a Google search for 'the best free AV product' ... or something like that would come up with some answers for you... one thing you could do is uninstall Bit... reboot, check out that one game (first one) ... check the results before you start installing anything else... know what I mean?

The 'kind of' weird thing here is that you and I both use Win7... I'm using the latest Flash ... which I have almost zero issues with Flash in general ...over tons of years....guess I'm just lucky ... or that I'm not a heavy PC user anymore... biggest part of my system history was managing mid-range/real-time system... not so much with the PC world.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

While you're here, remind me how to list my extensions.

I'm surprised you mentioned Google. I use Duckduckgo and Startpage.com.

I had tons of Flash problems with XP, like most other users. But you were in the business, and your HD probably doesn't look like ours.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Actually... I don't use Google but use Startpage... I used Google in here just as an example...

Not going to read all the posts here but if I'm right and you created an unaltered test profile then listing your extensions/plugins may not help... I use this extension to get those clean lists...Hope it works for you.

Extension list dumper has been modified by a person on this board and that extension is the last one on the list at this site... download it and then in the add-ons manager click on the Wheel and Install add-on from file.

https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0ByMy9Nx6 ... t=download

This is the link... about where that downloaded file came from...Note the area where Robertj posted some code.
Replacement for Extension List Dumper? • mozillaZine Forums
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

The latest version works fine...as of the last Review, dated March 2017.
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -2/?src=ss
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Thanks for that info... I had not looked at my/that extension for some time and didn't know that my Clippings was wrong... but, that extension 'in here' is current.... Clippings fixed.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

As nothing else seems to works.. Do a Refresh
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... d-settings

@Why does one need a frakking extension to list extensions which are listed clear as daylight in Troubleshooting Information ? ..... Snipping Tool..Post Image.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

The OP created a test profile and it still didn't work right... and I'll assume that that test profile was used as-is... but who knows.

I used that dumper long before I learned about the Snipping tool... that works fine too... just hard to re-train old folks :lol:
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

dfoulkes wrote:Actually... I don't use Google but use Startpage... I used Google in here just as an example...

Not going to read all the posts here but if I'm right and you created an unaltered test profile then listing your extensions/plugins may not help... I use this extension to get those clean lists...Hope it works for you.

Extension list dumper has been modified by a person on this board and that extension is the last one on the list at this site... download it and then in the add-ons manager click on the Wheel and Install add-on from file.

https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0ByMy9Nx6 ... t=download

This is the link... about where that downloaded file came from...Note the area where Robertj posted some code.
Replacement for Extension List Dumper? • mozillaZine Forums

I used just safe mode. I don't need the list now, but I figured while you were here, I would tuck the ext away for the future.