Firefox is consuming too much data

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
sachithmuhandiram

Firefox is consuming too much data

Post by sachithmuhandiram »

I have a prepaid internet connection, Firefox is consuming too much data even when I just do a google query it takes around 7-10MB.
I have only AdBlockPlus installed as add-on. No sync options. Nethog shows only firefox is running and using internet connection.

Kernel : 4.4.0-77-generic
Firefox : 53.0.2 (64-bit)
Can someone suggest at least a reason for this and a way to solve this? I had lost more than 500MB for last day. Didn't load any video or images.
dfoulkes

Re: Firefox is consuming too much data

Post by dfoulkes »

A couple of things...

1. You might want to include Linux in the description of you topic... just in case...
2. ABP is known to use lots of memory... you might want to try this one... I use it as lots of others do and it saves lots of memory...
uBlock Origin :: Add-ons for Firefox
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
kreemoweet

Re: Firefox is consuming too much data

Post by kreemoweet »

You can use the built-in Firefox network request inspector in its Developer Tools to see what the big data numbers are coming from. Most of the Google query results page
for me is in the FF cache, so you want to be sure to maintain a large network cache. You can also use the Google Search settings to limit results to 10 per page. If you have
it set for a lot more than that, then your 7-10 MB sounds completely reasonable.