Problems duplicating Profiles

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
therube

Re: Problems duplicating Profiles

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
sirzur

Post by sirzur »

OK. I had a look at the profiles.ini file, created a new profile and can confirm that the new profile and its path shows up in the profile.ini file.

Despite that I still cannot duplicate a profile. I am stuck for now, unless someone has other suggestions
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

What profile location are you using?

Firefox uses two locations for the Firefox profile folder.
Location used for the main profile in "AppData\Roaming" that keeps your personal data.
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile>\
Location used for the disk cache and other temporary files in "AppData\Local".
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile>\

Are you trying to duplicate a full profile folder?

Note that you can use "Choose Folder" to register a folder that isn't listed in the Profile Manager.
Current Firefox versions also have the about:profiles page to quickly go to a profile folder.
sirzur

Post by sirzur »

OK thanks did not know that firefox has 2 profile locations.

But as stated in my OP, the location that is used on my machine is "C:\ Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles". This seems to be the default location when I create a new profile. And the profile.ini points correctly to that location

I am trying to duplicate the full profile folder. And yes, I have also tried duplicating a profile to a folder name that I chose from "Choose Folder" without success
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You wouldn't normally find a profile folder under AppData\Local when you use the Profile Manager.
What files and folders do you see in AppData\Local?
What locations do you see on the about:profiles page for these profiles?

See also for files and file locations these KB articles:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Adding to all of this... maybe using one of the backup/restore tools available for Firefox needs using.... here is some info on it/them... I use Febe now but had used the other one...
Profile backup - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
sirzur

Post by sirzur »

Success and thanks for all the help provided.

First off things that did not work - about:profile - nothing comes up. But about:support shows a button to click for the profiles folder.

Now the mistake was all mine and have been mine all along. The key for me was when dickvl mentioned the location of two locations for the folder profile. All along, I had been under the impression that I needed to copy profile folders from "C:\ Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles". My success was when I copied profile folders from "C:\ Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles". It seems that when a profile is created, profile folders are created in 2 locations (at least on my PC) - one in the Roaming directory path and one in the Local directory path. It is the Roaming directory path which I need to copy to duplicate profiles.

When I was looking at the profile.ini file, the path towards the profile folder was not specified in full. Since the profile.ini was in the Roaming path, it should have clicked that this was the main storage repository for the profile directory
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

sirzur wrote: All along, I had been under the impression that I needed to copy profile folders from "C:\ Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles". My success was when I copied profile folders from "C:\ Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles". It seems that when a profile is created, profile folders are created in 2 locations (at least on my PC) - one in the Roaming directory path and one in the Local directory path. It is the Roaming directory path which I need to copy to duplicate profiles.
I think someone mentioned the path discrepancy earlier.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
sirzur

Post by sirzur »

My apologies. The mind reads what it wants to. I read Windows 7 and immediately thought that does not apply to me. And then I read the word Roaming and substituted Local. I have since re-read and if I had immediately thought about your answer, it would have saved me some mucking around.

My apologies again :)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

The mind reads what it wants to
You got that right... the older we get (and think that we 'know') the more skimming we do :lol: ](*,)
apologies
None needed... we all do it.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

sirzur wrote:My apologies. The mind reads what it wants to. I read Windows 7 and immediately thought that does not apply to me. And then I read the word Roaming and substituted Local. I have since re-read and if I had immediately thought about your answer, it would have saved me some mucking around.

My apologies again :)
No need to apologize! We all have brain failure at one time or another. If you aren't experienced in mucking around with FX, it may seem daunting. Now that you have gone through messing around with profiles, you have acquired more knowledge and in the future, it will become easier. We all learn at different rates. Glad to hear that you got it worked out! =D>
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18