Can't Use Nvidia Auto-detect Site Feature

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Wiggam72

Can't Use Nvidia Auto-detect Site Feature

Post by Wiggam72 »

I'm trying to auto-detect my GPU to find out the latest driver updates for it, but can't use the tool because the latest version of FF won't run Java.

I get the following pages when I try. What should I do?

This one says Java is required. http://www.geforce.com/drivers

After DL and installing it, I get this. https://www.java.com/en/download/windows_xpi.jsp In case you don't see the same message I get, it says: We have detected you are using Firefox which might be unable to use the Java plugin from this browser. Starting with Firefox Version 52 (scheduled for March 2017), Firefox has removed support for the standard way in which browsers support plugins.
Last edited by Wiggam72 on May 20th, 2017, 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
mightyglydd

Re: Can't Use Nvidia Auto-detect Site Feature

Post by mightyglydd »

Use IE and get on with life... ?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

auto-detect-crap is overrated. open your computer and take a lamp and read the gpu modell
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Or use Speccy; nice bit of gear IMIO. https://www.piriform.com/speccy
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

nice choice!
James

Post by James »

Wiggam72 wrote:Firefox has removed support for the standard way in which browsers support plugins.
Chrome (and Opera?) has fully stopped support of NPAPI Plugins which includes Java since Sept 2015 so nothing new.

Firefox 52 ESR still supports other Plugins besides the Flash Player. Note for Win64 Firefox 52 ESR only the 64-bit Flash Player and Silverlight Plugins will run (just like the Win64 Releases from 43.0 to 51.0 did) as you will need 32-bit Firefox and 32-bit Java on Windows.
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I'll decide which one I'll use soon.

I wasn't sure if there was a problem on my end or not. I'm surprised to find out that after all these years of using it all of a sudden it is discontinued.

Is the reason this feature is no longer supported because of security reasons or because it causes the browser to not operate efficiently?
Last edited by Wiggam72 on May 20th, 2017, 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Wiggam72 wrote:
Is the reason this feature is no longer supported because of security reasons
In Moz-Speak yes, however, I'd imagine that Flash is a hundred times more vulnerable than the total of all Plugins they've 'banned'.. but that's perfectly OK...
Scarlettrunner20

Post by Scarlettrunner20 »

I use Fx 45.9 ESR which does support Java and also Pale Moon which supports Java. Java is indispensable for me. I don't need it often but when I need it, I need it.

With the recent reports of at least 15 kernel level vulnerabilities in ALL nVidia drivers except the latest, I tried running the GPU Reader. I have used it in the past on this Windows 8 computer and it has worked fine on both browsers. This time it would not work because Java popped up and said the certificate is outdated so Java blocked the the GPU Reader for security reasons. I did a chat with nVidia to inform them. I was asked to upload a screen shot of the Java error which I did. I was then told that nVidia engineers would be advised of the problem.

The CSR pointed me to the correct driver and told me to be sure to do a custom install because with this latest driver it was very important. I'm not a gamer so I ordinarily would not update and I have not done it yet. Being told a custom install is needed for this particular driver means I probably will not update and just take my chances with the security vulnerabilities. I've have nVidia video cards since 2003 and had many, many serious problems with driver updates. I'm not recommending that anyone not update just saying that it is the update I most dread and very seldom do due to the problems I tend to have.
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

Scarlettrunner20 wrote:With the recent reports of at least 15 kernel level vulnerabilities in ALL nVidia drivers except the latest,
Wow! I didn't know about that! I've also had many problems in the past updating nVidia drivers. This is precisely why I want to use the auto-detect feature to ensure that I get the specific driver for my system.
Will using the portable version stay separate from the regular version to prevent any sort of conflict?
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

I always use the manual method which is much more reliable and doesn't need Java: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

It goes without saying that you should uninstall the current drivers before updating. I always use Wagnard's DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) which you can download from here: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/view ... e8f74c9ef4

Also, you can use the NVIDIA Settings menu which is installed on your system to identify your GPU. You'll find the icon in the systray.
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

I haven't yet updated the driver. Partly because I've been busy, partly because I'm not entirely sure if the driver will work properly since it seems more geared for a game bolstered by the next concern, partly because an update driver app I use hasn't notified me that it needs to be updated after running the scan, and a little bit because of procrastination.

I just ran the latest Intel Detection and Mitigation Tool and it said my PC is not vulnerable to the security concerns that have come to light lately. Should I still go ahead and install the update on the nVidia site?