Merging FF files after a HDD failure

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ashanta

Merging FF files after a HDD failure

Post by ashanta »

Hi,

My HDD didn't start anymore and I lost with all my bookmarks and passwords. I sent it to repair it and to recover all my datas.
On the meanwhile, I have a new computer. I installed FF and I begin to save a few new bookmarks and some passwords.

My question is: Once I received back my old datas from my broken HDD, I will also get my FF profile with all my personal settings.
Is it possible to merge places sqlites files, key3.db, logins.json from old HDD and the new computer ?

As I have new passw and new bookmarks now, will I lost them if I import the old FF files ? Will it overwrite so that duplicate bookmarks won't appear by twice ?

Let me know more please.
dfoulkes

Re: Merging FF files after a HDD failure

Post by dfoulkes »

1st.... Backups are always nice to have around... I back up my profile every Friday and/or seconds before any Firefox updates are process... just saying...

With respect to your saved files from that repair place... and if I were in your shoes... I'd create a second profile and put those saved files in there... depends on what they give you... but if it's all there I'd do what I said...

Then using that profile I'd visit the add-ons site and look for anything that mentions 'import'....also... maybe look for 'export'.
import :: Search :: Add-ons for Firefox

Depending on what you find you may be able to export/import data from old to new? ... hard to say... 'import' is the important word here... not recover. 'Import' (so far) has always added to old to new stuff... not replace data... know what I mean?

I think it's going to be lots of work... and other will come along and come up with better info... I'm sure... but remember... those backups are good to have around.... and BTW... as soon as I'm done with the backups...they go to Flash thumb-drives.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

There are a few file types for bookmarks; sqlite for storage in the places.sqlite database, along with HTML (manual backups) and JSON (automatic backups by Firefox).

'''HTML''' bookmarks files are to be '''imported''' and will append existing bookmarks that are already in Firefox.

'''JSON''' bookmarkbackups files are to be '''restored''' and will overwrite any existing bookmarks that are already in Firefox.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
ashanta

Post by ashanta »

It makes me some confusion in my mind.

What I will need to do for getting my old bookmarks and new ones together ? How to do it ?

The same question for passes from websites. How can I do ?

Restored means that I will lost my last bookmarks with the old one, right ?
Imported means I will get both bookmarks, is this correct ?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

ashanta wrote:It makes me some confusion in my mind.

What I will need to do for getting my old bookmarks and new ones together ? How to do it ?
'HTML''' bookmarks files
In the files that you get back from that company... you should have a Bookmarks HTML file. While in Firefox (your new profile) ... get into Show all Bookmarks, on the left... click on 'all bookmarks' and then at the top where is displays..... Import and Backup... click on that line and "Import from HTML'... that will open up your file browser, find that 'bookmarks.html file and import it... you will now have two sections within your Show all bookmark... you will now need to move them around to where you want them.
The same question for passes from websites. How can I do ?

I'll assume that you mean passwords...
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
Please study the above Doc....it explains what the files are..
... also, this may help...
Recovering important data from an old profile | Firefox Help

Restored means that I will lost my last bookmarks with the old one, right ?
Correct... restore means to 'over-write' current data... 'import' means to 'add' to current data.

Imported means I will get both bookmarks, is this correct ?
Yes
Just a FYI... I mentioned Backups... if you had made say... weekly backups and were able to restore the latest backup (say a weekly one) into that new computer you would have started out with 99% of your profile... know what I mean?
ashanta

Post by ashanta »

Thank you for all dfoulkes ! :D

I will try it once I receive back my old HDD repaired.
Yes, passes means passwords. ;)

Unfortunately, I didn't make any backup from my old laptop. Could you tell me how do you do backups of your FF profile ? Do you use Windows backup ?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

See this article for suggestions on that == http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

In that link that Dan posted... it mentions Moz Backup... but it is no longer maintained... I used to use it but have used FEBE for years now and I test it by restoring a profile (into a test area) from time to time... and it got everything...
FEBE :: Add-ons for Firefox

...on the first day of a month I take all those weekly backups and put them to a removable flash drive... along with other stuff that I back up... I don't change my profile(s) much so weekly is good for me... if you make big changes to a profile all the time... dailies might be better.
ashanta

Post by ashanta »

Thank you dfoulkes for this addon.

I have one question, as on the old laptop, I didn't make any backup.
I've just remembered that I didn't make any manual backup, hence I don't have any html files.
How can I import them ? Maybe with places.sqlite file ?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Not sure where you stand on all of this now... but (and depending on if you get all of your files back or not)...

... this doc. shows a user which files to transfer ... and what they are...
Transferring data to a new profile - Firefox - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
.... 'if' a user were transferring files from one profile to another... so, if you have say... a flash drive with your recovered disk...from that company... the names of the files are the same and basically you are then transferring from that Flash drive to your new profile...keep in mind that if you 'replace' the new files (in that new profile) with the ones that came back from that company... anything that you put into those 'new' files that were created when you started using Firefox again, on that new computer ... will be replaced...