Stop Sending private System Information

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
T-buch

Stop Sending private System Information

Post by T-buch »

Today I should fill out a support form on the internet
The owner of the site was kind enough to inform me that along with the information I had plotted in myself, there would also be a lot of private info about eg. what services was running on my computer, which browser and other programs that were installed along with a lot of other in-transparent info about my system

How do you prevent these private information from being sent behind your back?
Grumpus

Re: Stop Sending private System Information

Post by Grumpus »

You could install NoScript and see what scripts are being run and then prohibit those urls in the future, usually for widgets, beacons, etc..
Browser is pretty much standard, services are port related so if you aren't using a particular service you can close the port with your firewall.
Unfortunately much is sent backdoor so best bet is to be vigilant, use an anonymous email address and don't allow third party cookies.
Other than that, don't visit the sites which seem to collect more than a normal amount of basic info.
You could also stay off Facebook, Twitter and any site which is considered a social site where you tell people your dribs size. ;)
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
morat

Post by morat »

And be careful when sending printed documents.

http://boingboing.net/2017/06/06/realit ... by-in.html
T-buch

Post by T-buch »

Thanks
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

And don't be surprised that you don't get any support, because you sent incomplete information.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
T-buch

Post by T-buch »

WaltS48 wrote:And don't be surprised that you don't get any support, because you sent incomplete information.
What kind of info do you mean?
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

what services was running on my computer, which browser and other programs that were installed along
not possible without a plugin - javascript cant do that alone. i would suggest you to do a full malware scan if your system contains a trojan.

1. AdwCleaner AdwCleaner Download
Insert [Report] here, then [Cleanup]

2. Let Malwarebytes (install as free) search
Download https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/
Insert logfile here

3. Junkware Removal Tool (JRT)
Download Junkware Removal Tool Download
Insert logfile here
T-buch

Post by T-buch »

Brummelchen wrote:
what services was running on my computer, which browser and other programs that were installed along
not possible without a plugin - javascript cant do that alone. i would suggest you to do a full malware scan if your system contains a trojan.

Thanks a lot for that information -

I guess i have found out
I wanted help from an Add-on password manager called Roboform - so they got the info from the Add on program
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

I posted it earlier, but I don't know where it went. These days, most everything is recorded, logged, and archived somewhere. You won't be able to truly stop this unless you unplug your devices.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

I wanted help from an Add-on password manager called Roboform - so they got the info from the Add on program
ofc, those programs collect any usable information of your used system to examine if there is some mismatch between their (here: roboform) and other installed software. the ESET system analyser do same. but i have doubt that the roboform addon had collected such information, it had called the roboform application for this action and transmitted only the result.

this behavior is legit and you have ticked the software agreement at least. sorry.