Cannot make Firefox the default browser

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
aeronca1

Cannot make Firefox the default browser

Post by aeronca1 »

Lately, I cannot make Firefox the default browser. When I start Firefox, it "knows" it is not the default browsers and a requester come up asking if I want to make it so. I click to do so, but it does not work. I have to go to Control Panel/Default Programs and do it there.

I'm not sure if this is related, but I have also had login problems on a couple of sites. If I click on login, the page I am on simply refreshes and I am not redirected to the login page. IE and Chrome work perfectly on these pages.
DanRaisch

Re: Cannot make Firefox the default browser

Post by DanRaisch »

Those are separate issues. The default browser setting is handled by the operating system. -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Setting_Your_Default_Browser

Regarding the second issue:
Clear the browser cache (use menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->Network tab->click on "Clear Now" button.)
Delete any cookies relating to the site(s) involved (Tools->Options->Privacy->Firefox will "Use custom settings for History"->Show Cookies button).
Happy112

Post by Happy112 »

Hi aeronca1 !

That must be pretty annonying !
Just to make sure that the latest update hasn't accidentally changed any settings, would you check this, please
(but you may already have done so) :

3-bar menu => Options => General => under 'Startup': is 'Always check if Firefox is your default browser' checked ?

3-bar menu => Options => Security => under 'Logins': is 'Remember logins for sites' checked ?
aeronca1

Post by aeronca1 »

For the first item, 'Always check if Firefox is your default browser' is checked but the option is greyed out preventing any changes.

For the second item, 'Remember logins for sites' is checked and does allow changes.

EDIT: I just noticed that on first starting, I can uncheck the box to make Firefox the default browser for a few seconds. After those few seconds, the item greys out preventing further changes.
aeronca1

Post by aeronca1 »

Flashplayer updated today, and as is my custom, I went through my three browsers making each one the default before updating. After I finished, Firefox again would not let me set it as default from within the program. I had to do it through the Control Panel Default Programs option. VERY annoying..... Chrome and IE had no problems allowing themselves to be set as default from within the program.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
May I ask......Why are you setting each as the default?

Why not just leave Firefox as the default, once it's set?

&...A little more...
(Windows does not like to let go sometimes & it needs a really big kick to remind it who's
the boss.
Try changing the defaults a few times.)
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

There really is no need to change each broswer to the system default when updating Flash. Each browser uses a different version of Flash so there is no conflict.
aeronca1

Post by aeronca1 »

All of this is moot now, I have dropped Firefox in favour of Pale Moon. It operates way better than Firefox...
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

As the OP has changed browsers & no longer requires assistance with Firefox,
this is being locked, to stop any spam from accumulating.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)