Firefox not connecting to web

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
sherwindu

Firefox not connecting to web

Post by sherwindu »

Hi, I was forced to reload my Firefox into my Windows 7 professional desktop. I downloaded the official version from Mozilla. The download worked, but when I ran the program, I did not see the usual intro page. I could not get the Options to engage. Putting in a valid URL did not go anywhere. I tried several times to unload and reload the Firefox program with no help.
DanRaisch

Re: Firefox not connecting to web

Post by DanRaisch »

What forced you to reload Firefox? Have you tried starting in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I addition to what Dan posted... see what happens when you create another profile... use it as-is to see if it works...if it works then post back here and we will help you get the new one set up...

Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
And,.... DON'T TOUCH THAT "Choose Folder..." BUTTON! ... unless you fully know all about it.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
shYdub

Post by shYdub »

The reason I had to reload Firefox was that someone hacked into my PC and when I tried to bring up Firefox, I could only see their screen advertising a help to fix some virus which I think they put in there in the first place.

I tried to go into Firefox safe mode with no success. After issuing the run command, I just got the 'about' screen with no further options.

By the way, I don't know what happened to my sign on here. I tried signing on with user sherwindu and the forum said my email was not correct. That makes no sense since I only have one email and use it for everything. It took a lot of maneuvering to get a new sign on working. Oh well. I need to fix my Firefox.
shYdub

Post by shYdub »

I was finally able to get a working version of Firefox loaded into my PC. Possibly, going into the registry and deleting any references to Firefox may have helped. This was after I ran a program 'Advanced Uninstaller' that removed almost everything, but did not clean the registry completely. Besides all the time it took to restore Firefox, I lost all my previous tabs. History did not show them. Well, at least I have Firefox back.
Happy112

Post by Happy112 »

shYdub wrote:The reason I had to reload Firefox was that someone hacked into my PC and when I tried to bring up Firefox, I could only see their screen advertising a help to fix some virus which I think they put in there in the first place.
I'd feel so much better if you'd run multiple malware scans (better safe than sorry ..... )

Further information can be found in this article :

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tr ... e?cache=no

Run most or all of the listed malware scanners.
They all work differently - what one program doesn't pick up, the others might.