Download history disappeared - How do I get it back?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
OtherAccountsLocked

Download history disappeared - How do I get it back?

Post by OtherAccountsLocked »

My download history has disappeared! There are no downloads to show at all.

I have not deleted them myself, nor have I used any kind of cleaning program since I last had the full list.

How do I get the list back? It's around 1,500 downloads that are sprawled across my hard drive in various locations, so, would need to search the entire hard drive each time I want to find something.

As an aside, my username is a reference to the fact that I have around half a dozen previous accounts that I am permanantly locked out of as I keep forgetting both the username and the password and have switched email providers several times.
Happy112

Re: Download history disappeared - How do I get it back?

Post by Happy112 »

Hi you-with-the-long-username !

Have you cleared Firefox History lately ? That would explain it, for that would clear your download history as well,

See : https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/de ... ry-firefox

You could try to restore a previous version of the places.sqlite file in the profile folder.

You can use this button to go to the currently used Firefox profile folder:

3-bar menu => Help => Troubleshooting Information => Profile Directory: Show Folder.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

You might want to update to a newer version of Firefox.
You need to look at /Tools/Options/Privacy/ - see if Remember my browsing and download history is checked
You need to also see if Clear History when Firefox close is checked and look at the Settings to make sure Browsing and Download history is unchecked.
If you used a standard location for the download and moved it later you can't expect Firefox to know where it went unless you made an alternative choice at time of save.
Lastly there are some simple archiving software utility programs around which are small and in some cases freeware you could apply in the future.
Unlikely there's a copy or duplicate of the places sqlite file but it may be preceded or followed with tild ~ or whatever special character MS uses for backup saves. This is something you could also do, set your system to backup and save deleted files and see what the special character is.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Happy112

Post by Happy112 »

Grumpus wrote:You might want to update to a newer version of Firefox.
You need to look at /Tools/Options/Privacy/ - see if Remember my browsing and download history is checked
You need to also see if Clear History when Firefox close is checked and look at the Settings to make sure Browsing and Download history is unchecked.
Hey ! Haven't you read my post (plus link) at all ?

(now you're making me grumpy, Grumpy .....)
therube

Post by therube »

(Why be Grumpy when you can be Happy. [Unless you're happier being Grumpy then being Happy.])
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript