Is uBlock Origin worth keeping?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
FFman

Is uBlock Origin worth keeping?

Post by FFman »

I have been using uBlock Origin for about a year now and recently it seems to be blocking a lot of legitimate sites which is a bit annoying.
Does anyone else find this and is it actually worth using? TIA
Brummelchen

Re: Is uBlock Origin worth keeping?

Post by Brummelchen »

example? settings?
FFman

Post by FFman »

Thanks Brummelchen.
I had one earlier but can't remember which it was and when I try the ones in the log file they don't come up blocked.
So I'll report back when I get a clearly blocked URL.

The settings are as first installed; I haven't changed anything.

Yes Hide placeholders of blocked elements
Yes Show the number of blocked requests on the icon
Yes Make use of context menu where appropriate
No Disable tooltips
No Color-blind friendly
No Enable cloud storage support
No I am an advanced user (required reading)

Privacy
Yes Disable pre-fetching (to prevent any connection for blocked network requests)
Yes Disable hyperlink auditing
No Prevent WebRTC from leaking local IP addresses

Default behavior
No Disable cosmetic filtering
No Block media elements larger than kB
No Block remote fonts
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

@ FFman - You meant that you have problem with 3rd-party filters for blocking ads, not uBlock Origin in any way. ;)
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
FFman

Post by FFman »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:@ FFman - You meant that you have problem with 3rd-party filters for blocking ads, not uBlock Origin in any way. ;)
I'm a bit puzzled about the :wink: but I have not changed any option in the uBlock Origin 3rd-party filters (or any other for that matter).
I'll post a URL and it'll be interesting to see if anyone else gets it blocked by uBlock Origin.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

uBlock Origin is great; however, there are some sites that will not function properly unless you allow certain trackers etc. that uBlock Origin blocks. At that point it is up to you to decide if the site is worth having your privacy invaded.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
FFman

Post by FFman »

Thanks RobertJ, interesting, I'll bear that in mind.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Your welcome.

gorhill

Post by gorhill »

If you disable all the enabled filter lists in uBlock Origin, nothing will be blocked, and the site you said was broken will cease to be broken. This means that the issue is not uBlock Origin, the issue is a filter issue: one or more filters in one of the filter lists is causing a web page to be broken. The proper action is to report the issue to filter list maintainers. Any other blocker with the same filter lists will also cause the same issue on whatever page you can't remember something was broken.

Dropping uBO to replace it says by ABP is the equivalent of unselecting all the filter lists in uBO except for EasyList (the default list in ABP). End result is that you will be significantly less protected. So, just report any page breakage to filter list maintainers, that is how these filter lists are actually built, by people reporting stuff -- one person reporting an issue will make that issue fixed, and everybody else benefits.

Now, I will just point out that in your opening comment you say "blocking a lot of legitimate sites", and yet when asked to provide an example, you were unable to present a single one.
FFman

Post by FFman »

gorhill wrote:... Now, I will just point out that in your opening comment you say "blocking a lot of legitimate sites", and yet when asked to provide an example, you were unable to present a single one.
As I said in my follow up post I can't remember one. When I get one that I'm sure is legit I just temporarily allow it. I'll post one when I next get one.
Thanks for the info anyway.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

There are some sites (e.g., https://www.netflix.com/) that will not function properly unless you disable uBlock Origin by clicking on the icon on the toolbar to cause it to go "gray". Since one knows it is a legitimate site you can do that. NOTE: I have FF set up to discard cookies both normal and persistent when I quit it. I suspect that there are tracking cookies/beacons or things like Google Analytics involved; however, for some sites I simply want to use the site.

I only have found a need to do this on about six sites I use.

MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

I have no problems on Netflix with UBlock enabled. Maybe our 3rd-party filter selection is different. Mine is set to whatever the default was during installation.

Now, the NBC Streaming site I did need to disable it.
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

RobertJ wrote:There are some sites (e.g., https://www.netflix.com/) that will not function properly unless you disable uBlock Origin by clicking on the icon on the toolbar to cause it to go "gray".
I am not aware of any such issue with Netflix, it works fine here without disabling uBO (default settings and lists).
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Clarification. The issue for me is using SeaMonkey with uBlock Origin and default settings. Haven't checked it out with FF. Sorry for the confusion.

FFman

Post by FFman »

I've just had a block and I rememebr now that I think a lot of the time it's when I click on a link in an email I get from http://www.maximiles.co.uk.
It is then redirected via http://www.awin1.com/cread.php to a final legitimate website when they want you to buy something.

It's http://www.awin1.com that is being blocked, it's in Peter Lowe’s Ad and tracking server list.