Firefox patch

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
firefoxuse

Firefox patch

Post by firefoxuse »

hello!

is there a way to stop the 'download firefox patch' malware??

thanks!
BobbyPhoenix

Re: Firefox patch

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

Ad blockers are the best way. You can't really stop it without one. Maybe NoScript, but I've never used it, but heard people say it before. Once you get it you are more likely to see it again. The best thing I've found (since I've seen it myself on multiple computers) is to close all tabs (basically just open a new tab, and close all others), and then clear all history from the beginning of time. And I mean ALL history. Go into Settings, Options, Privacy, and check all boxes, and put the time frame to Everything. Then close Firefox, and you should be OK from then on (assuming you installed an ad blocker). I use Adguard. It's simple and effective.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... er/?src=ss

Do, or do not. There is no try.
Happy112

Post by Happy112 »

firefoxuse wrote:hello!
is there a way to stop the 'download firefox patch' malware??
thanks!
Hi !
Good for you be on the alert ! You ARE talking about these fake updates, right ?
Firefox will always update from within the browser and not from a random webpage.
Scammers have been using this tactic, trying to get users to download and infect their computer.
Hard to get rid off, as they will change their URL on a daily basis.

BobbyPhoenix is right :
You could consider an ad-blocking add-on like :
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... in/?src=ss

Also see : https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/i- ... fox-update
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

common websites dont offer such ads or scripts - simply nativ thinking to visit not common sites without any forseeing security concept - like a decent ad-blocker.
BobbyPhoenix

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

Brummelchen wrote:common websites dont offer such ads or scripts - simply nativ thinking to visit not common sites without any forseeing security concept - like a decent ad-blocker.
This Malware "Patch" is on see a lot on Yahoo.com. That is a very common site, and really shouldn't need an ad blocker just to visit. Sad that it really is needed. :-(
Do, or do not. There is no try.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

i dont think that yahoo itself host that script - inserted from 3rd party. if they would knew they surely would abandon that partner. (i dont use yahoo)
using windows some dont really need an adblocker - more that a hosts file. ofc not easy to insert:
c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\ -> hosts (hidden/system)
uBo can use same hosts file i use (hosts-file.net) and idd its a basic protection vs lot of sites - some can launch any browser without much thinking of ad sites.
an ad-blocker can do much more, sure, and its recommended.