URL/FTP sites Firefox uses to update browser???

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
rmartes

URL/FTP sites Firefox uses to update browser???

Post by rmartes »

Can anyone please tell me what are all the URLs/FTP sites that Firefox uses to update the browser? I want to blacklist these sites, since I am having issues with the browser updating even though I have all the right settings disabled and GP in place to not update.

Thanks
Happy112

Re: URL/FTP sites Firefox uses to update browser???

Post by Happy112 »

Hi rmartes !

Would you take a look at this article and see if maybe there's one step that you have overlooked (like changing the preference in 'about:config') :

https://www.technipages.com/enable-disa ... in-firefox
rmartes

Post by rmartes »

Thanks Happy112, but I haven't overlooked this. All the update settings under about:config are already false and still we are having issues with the browser updating. At this point, I see that my only option is to block the update sites so that the browser fails to update. Just so you know that I have a custom MSI FF with the following lock perf:

// Disable Updater
lockPref("app.update.enabled", false);
lockPref("app.update.auto", false);
lockPref("app.update.mode", 0);
lockPref("app.update.service.enabled", false);

The funny thing is that it is only updating in one site in my network and it is every Friday morning that we get calls from our users, so the update must have taken place the night before (Thursday night).

Hopefully, blocking those sites will help me as I have about 200 users in the office and it is very frustrating.

Thanks
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

rmartes
Just a little more info.

Happy112 posted a link about some of this stuff... and in that link it mentioned the Maintenance Svc. ... as does the link that Dan posted...but did you uninstall that service?
my network and it is every Friday morning that we get calls from our users, so the update must have taken place the night before (Thursday night).
Sounds like you support customers on your network? ... AFAIK native Firefox does not have any type of 'every Thursday' type of internal setting that would prompt an update on that type of cycle... maybe something outside of Firefox is responsible for updating your servers stuff? ... got anything in there?

I don't like any auto-updates of anything here..either... other that my AV database... and long ago I uninstalled that Maint. Svc and have never had an issue.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
therube

Post by therube »

I'll take it that these "// Disable Updater" settings are enforced prior to opening the browser or creating a new Profile?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Maybe set all the app.update.url prefs that have an URL value to an empty string via lockPref()
That should prevent Firefox from contacting the server.
phkhgh

Post by phkhgh »

If all else fails, you could block these sites / addresses:
entering the sites to block in a router / gateway / server;
in many AV / FW - using block or blacklists;
probably by blacklisting all scripts from these sites via NoScript, if using it;
entering the addresses in Windows' host file to block;
if Linux, many native firewalls allow easy creation of blocking rules;

all of above can easily be suspended or reversed & have functions specifically designed for what you want.
Probably other ways.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

since I am having issues with the browser updating
it would be better to focus the problem instead using old and vulnerable versions - in special in a commercial environment. the better choice then may firefox ESR.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/ ... s/firefox/