making FF the default browser

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
DWFII

making FF the default browser

Post by DWFII »

I know how to do it...it's just not working.

Because I have a forum that I administer and occasionally do web work, I have three browsers on my computer--FF v. 54 x 64, Chrome (latest version), and IE v.11.

In the not so distant past, i have been using Chrome as my default browser (mostly display issues and one other that I brought here but never resolved). I have since switched back to FF and now I cannot make it my default browser.

When it opens it asks me if I want to make it my default. And I say yes. But it doesn't stick. I have gone into "Option" and clicked on the button that says "make FF your default" (or something like that) and that doesn't stick either.

I have gone into the settings of Chrome and it says it is the default but offers no option to change it.

How can I make FF my default browser.
DWFII
In the High Desert of Central Oregon
DanRaisch

Re: making FF the default browser

Post by DanRaisch »

That's actually an operating system issue. See this article -- https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums ... n-windows/
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

You might try this:

Set Firefox to "Always ask if Firefox is your default Browser".

Set Chrome (or IE) to your default browser -- Chrome is in Settings at bottom of first page. This will cause a prompt when opening the non-default browser -- either way. In Chrome you will have the option to "Don't ask this question again". Perhaps you have some "flag" missed when you changed from one to the other for default.

This is just to verify what you think is happening -- really is.

Edit: I agree with Dan but every browser has an option to set within the settings.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
DWFII

Post by DWFII »

DanRaisch wrote:That's actually an operating system issue. See this article -- https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums ... n-windows/
Thank you...this worked.

I knew there was something like this (although not where) but still can't figure out why FF itself doesn't override when it asks if you want it as the default browser. If it doesn't work, it seems unnecessary to ask.
DWFII
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Edit: I agree with Dan but every browser has an option to set within the settings.
Absolutely correct. Still, Windows can be very stubborn about changing defaults so sometimes it's necessary to give it a swift kick to get it to pay attention to the new settings.
DWFII

Post by DWFII »

DanRaisch wrote:
Absolutely correct. Still, Windows can be very stubborn about changing defaults so sometimes it's necessary to give it a swift kick to get it to pay attention to the new settings.
:!:
DWFII
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Think the issue is bad under Win 7? It seems to be even worse under Win 10. At one point I had to go into Settings->Default Apps->Choose default apps by file type AND Choose default apps by protocol before I could get Firefox to work as the default.