address bar not showing search engine icons

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
squares

address bar not showing search engine icons

Post by squares »

ff 54.0.1. I have several search engines checked in options>search. shouldn't they all show up as icons at the bottom of the list of search suggestions? the only one that appears is the default search engine, which appears at top of list of suggestions.
dfoulkes

Re: address bar not showing search engine icons

Post by dfoulkes »

When you get into Options/Search ... and it displays the box listing your engines... do the ones that you want to see suggested have the check-mark next to them? ...the 5 that I want to see in that suggestion line all have a check mark next to them.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
squares

Post by squares »

yes, I have three search engines checked.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I suggest that you restart Firefox in safe mode to see if they come back in that mode.
squares

Post by squares »

can i ask why?. if they do return appear in safe mode, how will that help when it isn't in safe mode.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Firefox safe-mode will temp disable a number of things... below is what it does... if stuff works fine in safe-mode then it tells you/us that one of the items that it disables is/may be the cause... most of the time it's an extension messing with things... below is info on all of that...also, when you close Firefox when it is in safe-mode and then start it back up with your normal icon it will just start up normally...so, it won't change anything.

Try running Firefox in safe-mode... NOTE: This is a testing procedure only ... NOT for normal browsing.
-- On the menu bar, click the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled....
Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog. Click continue in Safe Mode and don't check any items.

Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while Single/Double clicking on the icon.
* (option key while starting Firefox on Mac).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>What safe-mode does ..... Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:
* All extensions are disabled. --- * The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
* The default theme is used, without a persona. --- * The default toolbar layout is used.
* The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled. --- * Hardware acceleration is disabled.

-- Safe Mode has no effect on the following --
* The status of plugins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.

This is the link to the main KB article for Safe-Mode ... but, use the above info 1st...
Safe Mode - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Are you using Classic Theme Restorer?
If so that's an Option > Location Bar > Autocomplete popop > 'Show search engines' needs checking.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
squares

Post by squares »

ok. starting ff in safe mode didn't change search behavior. entering search term showed a list with duckduckgo (default search engine) on top, then a list of other possible search results, but no list of icon at bottom of search list showing other search engines that i have checked.

I don't use classic theme restorer, though it sounds intriguing. I will take a look at it. I would like some way to force ff to allow taskbars. Roboform is now forced to be a button on main taskbar. I'd rather it be the taskbar that it used to be. but that is another topic.

are there any about:config settings that may fix the problem. I looked, tried changing a couple, but didn't help. I don't know what most of them do.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I see by your 'sig' ...
Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.0 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.0.3
...that you may be using a mix of stuff? .... I just checked this (loaded with extensions) profile ..plus my basic test profile and they both display those icons...you stated this...
entering search term showed a list with duckduckgo (default search engine) on top, then a list of other possible search results
...RE:the above red stuff... do you mean a possible list of search engines or ?? ... using my search window (not the loc-bar window) ... I don't get that.

In case I missed it... what is the exact version of browser that you are using?

One quick (additional test) that you could try... create a test profile... test with it as-is....

Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
And,.... DON'T TOUCH THAT "Choose Folder..." BUTTON! ... unless you fully know all about it.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Can you confirm what bar you use since the title reads address bar?
Is that the location bar where you type the website address or is this the search bar?

Only the search bar will show all available search engines to make it possible to choose another search engine.
The location bar drop-down list will only show a possible search or visit suggestion as the first if that would apply.
To use a specific search engine for the location bar you would have a to keywords to all search engines and type the keyword to select a specific search engine.
squares

Post by squares »

dickvl wrote:Can you confirm what bar you use since the title reads address bar?
Is that the location bar where you type the website address or is this the search bar?

Only the search bar will show all available search engines to make it possible to choose another search engine.
The location bar drop-down list will only show a possible search or visit suggestion as the first if that would apply.
To use a specific search engine for the location bar you would have a to keywords to all search engines and type the keyword to select a specific search engine.
I am using the "address" bar. sorry about any possible confusion. I have seen it referred to by different names.

I am not using the search bar. somehow I had the understanding that entering search terms in 'address' bar would return the different search engine icons. now I understand that is not accurate.

So, i will use the roboform taskbar for searches, since it already gives a list of different search engines, not use the ff search bar, and not update roboform, because the update forces me to use the slower responding roboform icon, instead of a taskbar. Unhappy that ff made the 'no taskbars' change.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

squares wrote: are there any about:config settings that may fix the problem.
Go to about:config and change browser.urlbar.oneOffSearches to True.
squares

Post by squares »

mightyglydd wrote: Go to about:config and change browser.urlbar.oneOffSearches to True.
thankyou mightygold. that fixed it.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

@Thank Aris..I found it in CTR Options.