Firefox corrupted simultaneously on separate computers

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
the-edmeister

Re: Firefox corrupted simultaneously on separate computers

Post by the-edmeister »

AndyTampa wrote:
@the-edmeister

Yes, I did have them synched. I've now removed the laptop FF from synch and am working to correct the desktop. Then I'd like to use synch to get the laptop set up correctly. It is using v52.0.1 (32-bit). [Is there a 64-bit?]
If your Sync data is actually corrupt you'll need to disconnect all devices from Sync and fix the corruption on all devices before re-connecting to Sync. Plus you should change your Firefox Account (Sync password) to clear your data and get rid of the corruption there, too.And if you have a mobile device (smart phone or tablet) connected to that same Sync account, that could be the source or cause of the corruption; my advice is to keep those devices disconnected from Sync - at least until you are sure the corrupt data is gone and corruption doesn't reoccur.

As far as using Sync for setting up a new device, the Sync for extensions sucks big time. Only extensions that are hosted at AMO will get installed - yes installed - Sync doesn't actually synchronize each users installed extensions, it installs the latest version of the user's extensions. Extensions that are hosted elsewhere or are installed as part of a 3rd party program (security suites for instance) may need to have the 3rd part application reinstalled. And the data or user settings for those "Sync installed" extensions may or may not get sync'd - mostly not.

Two years ago I tried using Sync when I put a newly built PC into service, I was sorely disappointed in the manner in which Sync worked and with what didn't get sync'd. After a week of trying to fix each thing that was missing or incomplete I just resorted to copying my Firefox Profile from my older PC that I was replacing over to a new Profile on the new PC; and deleted the abortion that Sync created on that new PC.

IMO, for my purposes Sync is a POS looking for a reason to be used, and Sync will eventually disappoint user's with either incomplete data or by corrupting user data - especially if a mobile Firefox is included in the Sync chain of connected devices.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
James

Post by James »

AndyTampa wrote:Q3: Is there a 64-bit FF yet?
If you mean for Windows and not Mac OSX or Linux then yes as Win64 Firefox has existed since Fx 42.0 and has been listed on http://www.mozilla.org/firefox/all/ page since Fx 43.0

The small online stub installer now being served on http://www.mozilla.org to Windows users also is supposed to give option of 32-bit or 64-bit if system supports it ever since Fx 53.0 and later
AndyTampa

Post by AndyTampa »

Wow! You guys are going way beyond. Every time I ask a question, you provide more information that leads to another question. This is great information, but I'm afraid you're going to get tired of answering the next question.

@Brummelchen - I take it from your answer that FEBE is a backup program. What are you backing up? The program, the profile, or both? What do you use?

Please share how you'd step back. I thought every time FF moved forward, there was no way back without uninstalling and reinstalling an older version fresh, then re-installing my add-ons one at a time.

This is chromium? Do you mean Chrome? I don't know what I'm looking for in your signature.

@the-edmeister - I did not know that Sync saved profile information. That's great info. I will do as you said to clear that data (though I don't know how changing a password would do that). In my case, I already have a profile on each computer. If I update my desktop to v54 and it does what the notebook does (starts working again), I'd like your opinion on whether my plan would work.
1) Finish fixing notebook FF.
2) Remove desktop FF from Sync.
3) Clear Sync account.
4) Update desktop FF to v54.
5) Sync the notebook FF that is working to create Sync data.
6) Sync the desktop FF to port the Sync data to it.
7) Remove both devices from Sync.

Do you think this would work?

@anyone

Will installing the 64-bit version on my notebook gain anything?
Will it simply update my 32-bit version or be separate and need my extensions re-installed?
Are the extensions the same ones?
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

%appdata%\mozilla is profile folder.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

AndyTampa,
FEBE is highly configurable.
You can set it to automatically back-up your Profile or any selection you choose
at any time you want, to anywhere you require.
It will not back-up the Program folder, but it will back-up any Program's .exes you want to save.
Works just fine.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
AndyTampa

Post by AndyTampa »

Okay, so I tried to update my desktop version of FF. I updated from v43 go v47 and the problem remained. Then I tried again and for some reason it updated to v52ESR. Why did it go to the ESR channel? Is it because it's a Windows Vista machine? Anyway, the problem remained. I tried to create a Temp profile which forced another update to v52.2ESR, but the problem remained still. I disabled my add-ons and got rid of the problem. I added them back a few at a time until the problem returned. Then when I disabled those last 2 that brought the problem on, the problem didn't disappear.

I'm still working on identifying the problem extension. At least one of them opened two pages that were sites unrelated to extensions. They were landing pages.

Additionally, and this may be unrelated, my Windows Vista now says after 10 years that it's not genuine when it's an OEM installation.
AndyTampa

Post by AndyTampa »

I am attempting to re-install the add-ons into a new profile. I can't figure out how to move my Saved Sessions from Tab Mix Plus into the new profie. How can I do that?
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

AndyTampa wrote: @the-edmeister - I did not know that Sync saved profile information. That's great info. I will do as you said to clear that data (though I don't know how changing a password would do that). In my case, I already have a profile on each computer. If I update my desktop to v54 and it does what the notebook does (starts working again), I'd like your opinion on whether my plan would work.
1) Finish fixing notebook FF.
2) Remove desktop FF from Sync.
3) Clear Sync account.
4) Update desktop FF to v54.
5) Sync the notebook FF that is working to create Sync data.
6) Sync the desktop FF to port the Sync data to it.
7) Remove both devices from Sync.

Do you think this would work?
Sync will synchronize the data types that you have selected in Options > Sync = "Sync across all devices." All but Add-ons are Profile data types

Yes, but if your data in Sync is corrupt you'll need to reset your Firefox Account password to flush the corrupt Sync data from the Sync server. Then fix each computer before you reconnect to Sync.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
AndyTampa

Post by AndyTampa »

@the-edmeister

Since I was unable to update my desktop FF to v54, I have started installing add-ons one at a time and trying to move the data to them manually between each install. This is proving difficult since there is no easy or consistent way to move settings from one profile to another. On some, I've had to just compare settings windows of both and make them match. I'm keeping a log of my actions so I can identify which action triggers the misbehavior. Previous attempts to just enable add-ons one at a time have triggered the misbehavior, but reversing the trigger didn't fix the problem. I suspect two or more add-ons are conflicting.

I already removed both devices from Sync. I don't know if I can sync from v54 to v52ESR, but if the settings caused the issue, I probably don't want to sync them anyway.
AndyTampa

Post by AndyTampa »

I've been trying to troubleshoot this all day. So far, I saw the issue triggered when I installed Torrent Finder Toolbar and VTZillla together. Individually, they don't create a problem. Maybe you can help me figure this out.

I was trying to install add-ons in a particular order and I kept installing these two sequentially. I've gotten the issue to occur with a limited number of add-ons. The first add-ons I install are 1) Classic Theme Restorer, 2) Tab Mix Plus, and 3) Colorful Tabs. I import settings or set them manually to what I want. Then I installed these two problem ones. That's created the problem consistently.

When I separated these two add-ons with an install of Download Status Bar and FireFTP, the issue didn't appear until a second restart of Firefox. Removing them both sometimes also requires a second restart to fix the issue.

The complication is understanding the symptoms. The problem is always the same. The Tab Mix Plus settings for Session Restore change from "Ask Before Restoring" to "Don't Restore" and "Ask Before Saving" to "Save Session". The Classic Theme Restorer setting for the Tab Bar location changes from "Tabs not on top (v1)" to "Tabs on top (default)". Also, the tabs that open when the previous session doesn't open are all the Thank You pages for add-ons that are already installed. Even if they were displayed before, they will continue to open as long as the issue persists.

So my quandary is this. Which are the problem add-ons, Tab Mix Plus & Classic Theme Restorer or Torrent Finder Toolbar & VTZilla?

I can live without the second two, but what if they aren't the problem?

Another question I have is, why am I having this problem in FF 52ESR on a Windows Vista machine but not FF54 on my Win8.1 laptop?
AndyTampa

Post by AndyTampa »

As I had expected, the answers to my questions have stopped. I've taken to installing my add-ons one-by-one to document each step. I found that the Torrent Finder Toolbar is no longer being supported and has been replaced by the AIO Search add-on. It is loaded with VTZilla and there hasn't been a problem. It's taking me a while to load them all a few a night, but I feel it's going okay.

Thank you for all the help you've given. Hopefully, I can get the rest loaded without a problem.