Spelling check using Twitter

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
colin1951uk

Spelling check using Twitter

Post by colin1951uk »

Firefox 54.0.1 (English_GB localised version.)

I don't get a spelling check error (red lines under a bad word) when I use Twitter.

If type a bad word into the Google search box the red lines show.

I seem to remember it working ok on the previous release but on the latest one I'm noticing it's not.

I just tried a portable version of Pale Moon and Twitter spelling works ok with that so I don't think Twitter is the problem and maybe I'm doing something wrong with Firefox, but I can't think what.

Anyone help please?

(ps, I notice if I type anyonee on this forum that it isn't getting picked up either :-k )
Brummelchen

Re: Spelling check using Twitter

Post by Brummelchen »

you can not compare palemoon with firefox - get firefox 54 portable from portableapps.com and test again
colin1951uk

Post by colin1951uk »

Ok, I installed the portable version and copied my old profile into it just to make sure I'm comparing like for like and it works!

So I can only conclude the standalone version didn't install properly.

I'll try a new install and hope that fixes it. If it doesn't I'll be back.
colin1951uk

Post by colin1951uk »

Well a fresh install hasn't fixed it so I'm thinking there's a bug in the standalone.

Is there anything else I can try or should I report it?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

How did you do the "fresh install"? Did you entirely delete the previously installed program AND replace the profile with a new, unmodified profile?
colin1951uk

Post by colin1951uk »

Yes, backed up my profile and then uninstalled everything, reboot and then a fresh install with an unmodified profile all of which didn't work.

However I have found a solution by using the English_Usa standalone which worked first time and replacing the new profile with my old one (effectively turning it into an English_GB version with just a small change to the Locale needed in general.useragent.locale.)

I still think the English_GB standalone is bugged though (64bit anyway, which I've used since it was available. I never checked the 32bit option.)

Job done!
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Note that the en-GB Firefox version doesn't come with t spell check dictionary.
You would have to install a dictionary yourself in the profile folder if you use that version.
You can do this via the right-click context menu or by visiting this link:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/language-tools/

The en-US version comes with the en-US dictionary, so that would explain why it worked.