Windows 10 Monthly Update/Fx Disaster (Solved)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
John Liebson

Windows 10 Monthly Update/Fx Disaster (Solved)

Post by John Liebson »

The Windows monthly update seemed to work properly, until, when it finished, I tried to run Fx, which crashed; tried again, crashed again. Tried to run Fx in Safe Mode, continued crashing. Tried to run Fx Profile Manager; crashed.

Restarted computer, Fx crashing continued.

From the Mozilla website, downloaded the Fx installer stub. Before running that, I went to Program Files (x86), clicked on the Fx folder, selected delete; that seemed okay, except that the folder itself was still there. My not suspecting anything amiss, I ran the Fx installer; when it was done, I clicked on the Fx icon on the Windows task bar, which started that the path was no longer valid. I searched for my newly installed copy of Fx, which I found in Users/AppData/Local. Tried Fx there, crashed. (One attempt actually opened Fx showing the screen about Fx having crashed, offering a choice of restoring or starting a new, but that crashed quite quickly.)

Tried running the Profile Manager for the new copy of Fx; more crashes.

Returned to the Program Files (x86) Fx folder, tired to remove it, access was denied. Went into its Properties, tried to access its Security tab, got rejected. (Not sure why right-click on the folder did not show a option for taking control; I had installed such an option from the Windows 10 forums. I will see if I can do that again and try to remove the Fx folder, even though I doubt that iself will remedy the disaster.)

At that juncture, I gave up trying to fix Fx, opened Edge, logged on here, posted my tale of woe (or ought be my tale of whoa?)

===
Reinstalled the Windows 10 forum registry change that adds "Take Ownership" to right-click menu, but still could not remove the Fx folder. Using Total Uninstall, I removed the copy of Fx in AppData; I left the room to check on my wife's Wind10 Monthly Updaate, which had failed the first time. Total Uninstall was on a 'remove folders' module, and did not seem to be doing anything. Wife's machine having downloaded the update, I clicked on restart, returned to my computer, and found that the Fx folder in Program Files (x86) was gone, so started the Fx installer again, and checked its options. As it offered to install in ProgFiles, I ran it with the hope that having gotten rid of what appeared to be a corrupt folder, Fx would work.

It did not, continuing to crash. One time, I did get a screen having something to do with Fx, but before I could read it, yet another crash happened. I have regained Fx where it belongs, in terms of physical location, but not in terms of having any ability to run. (Wife's copy of Fx working after the monthly Win10 update.)

===
Ran Windows 10 In Safe Mode with Networking. Fx ran, although it had no network connections. When I opened Fx a few tabs opened automatically; the first of which was the one seen after a crash and restart, so I chose restore. Restarted Windows in normal mode, Fx crashes.

My fire service background is in structural fire suppression and rescue; perhaps it ought to have been in CFR. That is the abbreviation for airport fire service, Crash, Fire, Rescue, as I have seen lots of Crashes, have tried to put out the Fx Fire, am in need of Rescue.
Last edited by John Liebson on July 12th, 2017, 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
dickvl

Re: Windows 10 Monthly Update/Fx Disaster

Post by dickvl »

What security software do you use?
There is a known incompatibility issue between Comodo and Windows update KB4022716.

If you use Comodo then best is to uninstall this Windows update.
https://forums.comodo.com/news-announce ... #msg861691
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

dickvl wrote:What security software do you use?
There is a known incompatibility issue between Comodo and Windows update KB4022716.

If you use Comodo then best is to uninstall this Windows update.
https://forums.comodo.com/news-announce ... #msg861691
Yes, I am aware of that Comodo problem, but I don't have KB4022716, unless it is included in KB4025342, which is the July 2017 update. I did get an update to Comodo Firewall a few days ago, which I believe is covered in that Comodo thread. (Just checked, firewall states that it is up-to-date.

I suppose that I could remove today's monthly Windows update, but question why there is not a Firefox problem on my wife's computer.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Removed the Win10 monthly update; Fx works, but I have no profiles at all. I shall have to try my backups to restore those `minor' deiails. Meanwhile, the Win10 update will reappear and install itself no doubt.

I need to investigate the Comodo Firewall problem further; just what I want to do, sigh.

----
Restored, as best I could, Fx profiles and .ini files. Had to figure out which profile was most likely to be the one I wanted, and entered its name in the .ini file, which was only showing the new default profile. Fx not restored to its previous setup, so I need to work on that, sigh the second.

For example I cannot yet figure out why I cannot move the entries in the bookmarks toolbar up to where they ought to be, but I did click on the mozillaZine entry on the toolbar, which brought me here, ready to log on (after, that is, that I updated KeeFox, the KeePass extension for Fx, indicating that the profile I chose is perhaps not the very latest. As the are all dated as being modified today, within a short time span (and several don't have such things as extension folders,) all I could do is guess between a few of the profili files.

Enough of this for now, if not forever.
John Liebson

Re: Windows 10 Monthly Update/Fx Disaster (Solved)

Post by John Liebson »

For reason/reasons both unknown and unknowable, Comodo Firewall on my wife's computer had been updated to the recent release that fixes the Fx crashing problem, while on my computer, although the updater claimed that I had the firewall update, that was incorrect.

I have updated Comodo Firewall to the current version, and also have reinstalled this month's Windows 10 Cumulative Update; those tasks completed, I am writing this in a non-crashing Firefox.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

:D

FWIW - I always shut down my AV and firewall when doing a system update on my Mac.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Another FWIW...
I had a heap of problems when I updated my Comodo firewall from version 8.x.x.x to version 10 a few months ago.
It caused heaps of problems for people.
I hope that they fixed it but I will continue with v8.
It does exactly what a good firewall should.

Good luck, John.
Glad you got it fixed.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

When the firewall installation finished, I was offered an update to version 10; my having seen any mention of that new version, I declined the offer. Perhaps I ought to have taken it, so that I would have a new and unsolved set of problems....

===
Later: Comodo just popped up offering an update, so I clicked on "What's New," which showed an update to version 10. Having, I thought, rejected v.10, I opened the firewall, where I found that I am using version 10. I wonder how long I've been using 10, along with everything else i wonder about (that's a full-time occupation!) At any rate, the update was very quick.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

New crashes have been reported related to KB4025342.
Bug 1376831 - Startup crash in cmdshim32.dll@0x135b (Comodo, Windows 10)

Please do not comment in bug reports
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html
toolong

Post by toolong »

dickvl wrote:New crashes have been reported related to KB4025342.
Bug 1376831 - Startup crash in cmdshim32.dll@0x135b (Comodo, Windows 10)

Please do not comment in bug reports
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html

Interesting. It sounds like the "Comodo" people need to get busy fixing their program. <smile>