Problem Downloading From Web Links - Kindly Help Please

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
DanRaisch

Re: Problem Downloading From Web Links - Kindly Help Please

Post by DanRaisch »

You probably don't want to copy over all of the settings that would be in the file prefs.js as there is a possibility that that file caused your problems. As for the applications, copy the file mimeTypes.rdf from the old profile to the new.
marcbkk

Post by marcbkk »

It just occurred to me that an older drive image I have backed of my Windows 10 installation might have been made before the Firefox problems started. Assuming there is a good copy of the Default profile in that drive image, and I restore it temporarily, would it be as simple as copying the default profile directory from the Windows 10 backup and replacing the default profile directory on my current Windows 10 installation to restore the profile back to it prior good working condition?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Yes. Be sure to copy starting at the directory one level below the location of the file profiles.ini.
marcbkk

Post by marcbkk »

Thanks. Not sure what I understand what you mean though. There directory has two profiles in it. I would just copy the one of the two directories that says "Default", no?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Only if that was the active directory you wish to restore. Just because Firefox includes the word "default" in the name of the initially created profile doesn't that it is the profile you chose to routinely use, and only the user can say which profile that was.

And I misspoke. The directory you would want to copy if one level below the directory that has the profile name. Thus, for example, C:\Users\USERID\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\RANDOM##.default is the directory, named for the profile, that contains files and sub-directories you would want to copy. If you copy from the level of \RANDOM##.default itself, the file profiles.ini in the new profile will not be pointing to the new profile but to the old.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

which extensions?
marcbkk

Post by marcbkk »

DanRaisch wrote:Only if that was the active directory you wish to restore. Just because Firefox includes the word "default" in the name of the initially created profile doesn't that it is the profile you chose to routinely use, and only the user can say which profile that was.

And I misspoke. The directory you would want to copy if one level below the directory that has the profile name. Thus, for example, C:\Users\USERID\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\RANDOM##.default is the directory, named for the profile, that contains files and sub-directories you would want to copy. If you copy from the level of \RANDOM##.default itself, the file profiles.ini in the new profile will not be pointing to the new profile but to the old.
Thanks again. In the end I just decided to make a new profile to fix my problems. It seems easier. I took screen shots of all my settings and extensions from my old profile and then made changes to the new profile settings according to my screen shots. Everything on the new profile is now pretty much like the old profile and download links from web pages are working correctly again. So my original problem has now been resolved.

I also kept the old profile in tact in case I ever want to go back to it and recheck some of my old settings for some reason. But I think I copied everything I needed already. I will probably keep the old profile there for about a month or so and then eventually delete it once some time has gone by and I am sure the new profile is working just the way I want it. Thanks.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.
marcbkk

Post by marcbkk »

DanRaisch wrote:You're welcome.
By the way, is there a way to add more files types under Options > Applications?

I would like to add more settings for file types like .exe files, etc.

Thanks
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

This article addresses that issue -- https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ap ... dles-files
marcbkk

Post by marcbkk »

Got it. Thanks!