Farewell to Firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
aldiboronti

Farewell to Firefox

Post by aldiboronti »

I've been using Firefox since before 1.00. I recently bought a new laptop with Windows 10 on. I also installed the Windows Creators Update, although that may have been a mistake. Anyway the result is that I just can't use Firefox now. It constantly freezes with a Not Responding message. On investigation it's always an xul error. I've tried everything. Uninstalled and reinstalled. Refreshed. Removed all addons. Deleted my profile. Nothing makes any difference. I'm beginning to think it's Windows 10 itself or this damn buggy Creators Update. I guess I'll have to try getting rid of that next. But in the meantime here I am on Edge and I'm not impressed. I want my FF back! Any other suggestions?
DanRaisch

Re: Farewell to Firefox

Post by DanRaisch »

When you uninstalled, did you totally delete the program directory or just use Windows uninstall?
What security software are you running on that system?
Close all applications and reboot the computer.
Delete any downloaded or partially downloaded installer files.
Clear the browser cache (of whatever browser you are using to download FF) and the Windows Temp directory.
Shutdown any anti-virus software you are running.
Download a new copy of the full installer from www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all
Delete the directory C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
Run the installer.
Restart the anti-virus program.
Brummelchen

Re: Farewell to Firefox

Post by Brummelchen »

I also installed the Windows Creators Update
manually forced? then you got your culprit. at least CU is still very buggy and yet not delivered to all customers by reason.