Installing Over current FF 34

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
eager to learn

Installing Over current FF 34

Post by eager to learn »

Hi,

In the past it was shared that users could just install the latest FF version over an old one and you wouldn't lose any of your bookmarks, add-ons. extensions, password settings, etc.

Is that still the case?

I'm considering installing The Firefox Setup Stub 54.0.1.exe from the official Mozilla Web page.

I think I'll first save

1). signons.sqlite
2). keys.db and
3). places.sqlite
4). cookies.sqlite
5). permissions.sqlite

I read that HTML 5 is now being used by a lot of Web sites and replacing Adobe Flash Player so it's best to use the current FF version, if that correct?

Thank you so much.
Brummelchen

Re: Installing Over current FF 34

Post by Brummelchen »

forget your list, wrong doing.

create a full backup of your profile, only files are pointless.

signons. is replaces/convertend to logins.json
keys.db useless without cert8.db, is converted to key3.db
cookies i wont care, just login again.

stub? never
-> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/

after full backup uninstall v34, keep profile.
then install v54 and create a new profile "firefox.exe -p"
close firefox again
copy files above to new profile
restart firefox
create a profile backup

any reason you waited so long with the upgrade?
you are working with a high vulnerable browser
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/ ... s/firefox/
so many red, so many CVE (important bugs)

i hope the rest of your used software incl windows is more up-to-date
allande

Post by allande »

When Firefox 57 is released, most current extensions will not work with it. If you install Firefox 54, all plugins except Flash will immediately stop working as well - most people do not need plugins other than Flash, YMMV. Further information is here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3025513
It is best to not go downwards with Firefox versions. So, running Firefox 54 through 57, as it updates, and then trying to get rid of 57 and go back to 52 is not recommended without losing your profile. To prevent this problem, and to allow you to keep using old extensions and plugins for a while, I would suggest using Firefox ESR - which is and will be for a while - though mid 2018 or so - based off of Firefox 52. The installer for Firefox ESR can be found here. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/
Firefox ESR should work with most of the extensions you currently have.
By mid 2018, somewhat more Firefox 57 compatible extensions may be available and you can re-examine the situation.
eager to learn

Post by eager to learn »

Thank you both so very much!

I have add-ons like Ant Media downloader and YouTube Downloader as well tiny url generator and other add-ons I don't want to lose.

So, it seems it's best for me to download the Firefox ESR installer then install Firefox ESR not FF 54?

Can I download Firefox ESR installer to a flash drive and then copy that download to a laptop to install Firefox ESR on the laptop?

I'm using the public library's T1 line to download Firefox ESR to a flash and then bring that flash drive home to load/install on the laptop.

Fro some reason Chrome stopped working at the library. They think it's a problem with the library's firewall so I'm forced to use IE. FF is not installed and patrons can't add software to their network.

Thank you so very much again.
allande

Post by allande »

If you take Firefox ESR, the benefit is you will have longer to decide what to do about the extensions issue, and you can let other people go first and do the testing about how to adjust. On the other side, non-ESR Firefox will get new features first, but unless you have complaints about the performance of Firefox ESR those features may not be important to you. ESR is meant to get most important security fixes if you allow it to update, but some more minor security problems may only be fixed in non-ESR Firefox.
The installer for Firefox ESR, if you get a full installer, is about 45mb. Even on a slow connection or if you have a bandwidth limit that isn't usually too bad to do at home. But, if you prefer you can certainly get it at a library and copy it with a Flash drive and use that to install.

As mentioned above, no matter what you do, make a full backup your profile folder before doing anything, while Firefox is not running. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

When going from Firefox 34 to Firefox 52 ESR you can expect to lose some (or many) extensions / add-ons - especially Ant Media downloader and YouTube Downloader. at least. Those two seemed to break frequently (iirc) in the Firefox 4# versions, plus many other extensions got broken, too, from Firefox 34 on. Hence the reason I am using Firefox 38.7.1 ESR - the keep my valued extensions in this specific Profile. I do use Firefox 47.0.1 and Firefox 54.0.1 with other Profiles that I have, but can't use about 7 different extensions that I was using in the Firefox 3# versions.

As far as HTML5 goes, my Firefox 38.7.1 on WIndows7 doesn't have any particular issues with HTML5 - IMO whatever is "missing" isn't very important to be able to use HTML5 videos (where available) to get around using Flash. But some websites haven't yet replaced Flash so you nay still need it regardless of which version of Firefox you want to use.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
eager to learn

Post by eager to learn »

Hi allande and The-edmeister.

I so appreciate all your thoughts and experiences.

Downloading videos is of paramount importance to me especially when users using Chrome and IE say they can't download videos, especially YouTube videos.

That allows me to watch and listen to videos and podcasts at home with no I-net access.

I'm not sure if upgrading from FF 34 to 38.7.1 ESR gains me anything? Better security?

But, upgrading to 52 ESR seems to risk my ability to download videos and/or podcasts?

Thank you both so much for this very informative and helpful chat.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

using outdated versions due convenience or habitual usage is totally wrong theses times.
using 3x is same as using 4x and any lower <52esr = pretty stupid (my opinion)
your security, your choice, but dont cry us a river when you have impacts.
eager to learn

Post by eager to learn »

What's your solution for downloading videos using FF v54?
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Er you don't need to use a browser Extension to download videos ......... ;)
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
eager to learn

Post by eager to learn »

What do you use to download YouTube videos?
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Internet Download Accelerator (paid), but any other decent Video Converter can do theses times.
or web service https://www.savefrom.net
https://www.onlinevideoconverter.com/

video download helper (VDH) wont survive firefox 56 and is close to death (extreme buggy).

i suggest you to tell us what you need (and what you had/extensions) - and we tell you about the future.
eager to learn

Post by eager to learn »

In message # 4 Post Posted 20 Jul 2017 11:28 am

<snip> I have add-ons like Ant Media downloader and YouTube Downloader as well tiny url generator and other add-ons I don't want to lose.

Ant and YouTube Downloader have worked very well.

I want nothing to do with web-based downloaders and I've tried Freemake but that didn't work.

The FF add-ons have worked well and easily.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Ant sux, piece of crappy software. YT downloader unknown, tiny url generator may survive when rewritten as webextension, currently nothing available.

that was mentioned above - stay 52esr until march 2018 with the legacy extension system or use current firefox and webextensions if available.

you need to do some homework, not our part to investigate and deliver results
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/search/

at least we cant make decisions for you.
create a backup, install current firefox with a fresh profile and make your own experience.
wrote yourself: "eager to learn" - just learn, right now, get the impulse, fight your inner temptation - do something on your own.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

eager to learn wrote:Downloading videos is of paramount importance to me especially when users using Chrome and IE say they can't download videos, especially YouTube videos.

That would be users like you?
When did you last post here using Fx ??
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.