delay in going to sites

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ydaltak

delay in going to sites

Post by ydaltak »

anyone else noticing a delay between putting an address in the location bar and firefox actually going to that page? this just started recently, and it's frustrating. i'm using firefox 54.0.1 (32-bit) with windows 10. any suggestions?
DanRaisch

Re: delay in going to sites

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Firefox Support.

Have you tried starting Firefox in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
If no improvement using Safe Mode, do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Your computer needs to know the IP address of the site before it can take you there. The Dynamic Name System, or DNS, is used by your operating system to convert alphanumeric internet domain names (e.g. mozillazine.org) to their IP numbers (mozillazine's IP is 140.211.166.9).

Could be the DNS service you are configured to use (most often from your ISP) is getting overloaded and giving slow response. You might try reconfiguring to use another public DNS server and see if it clears up the problem

Here is one of many articles on the web re changing your computer's operating system to use a different DNS server:
https://www.lifewire.com/free-and-publi ... rs-2626062
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
ydaltak

Post by ydaltak »

i'm looking into both suggestions. thanks!
ydaltak

Post by ydaltak »

i tried changing the DNS service and that didn't help. so now i've turned off my firefox extensions and am bringing them online one at a time per day. slow but sure!
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

If you still think it might be your DNS as makaiguy suggests you can flush the DSN with this:

In a DOS or command window or batch file:
ipconfig /flushdns

https://www.technipages.com/flush-and-r ... g-ipconfig
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
ydaltak

Post by ydaltak »

i tried the flushing hack, and it still happens. seems to always be a problem with certain sites that i go to a lot. i guess i'll go back to loading the firefox extensions one by one. sigh!
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Which AV are you using?
If it has a SSL/TLS 'filtering' option, disable it and restart PC.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

If it's only certain sites, the fault might lie in the sites. If you don't already have them, try Ublock Origin to block ads and Privacy Badger to block trackers. Some sites have up to 20 trackers that all have to load with the first page.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
ydaltak

Post by ydaltak »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:If it's only certain sites, the fault might lie in the sites. If you don't already have them, try Ublock Origin to block ads and Privacy Badger to block trackers. Some sites have up to 20 trackers that all have to load with the first page.
i've turned OFF adblock plus, trafficlight, blur, and web of trust and turned ON Ublock origin and privacy badger. i'll let you know what happens.
TexasTim65

Post by TexasTim65 »

I'm having a similar problem to the OP and it just started very recently (last couple weeks or so).

In my case it only happens on the initial start of Firefox. I click in the address bar area and start to type a site and it can take 10+ seconds before I get any response. However once I do get a response everything is fine going forward and all sites/address bars etc are very responsive. New tabs or even new instances of Firefox respond immediately in the address bar and going to sites. But once I close Firefox (all instances) the problem immediately arises again the next time I start. Rebooting my machine does not solve the problem. I even cleaned the cache a few days ago.

My home page is set to google.com. The bottom bar on Firefox often shows it being slow contacting some google sites (client5, TLS handshake, googleusersettings and other google stuff) while doing the initial google page load. I've tried switching homepages to other fairly simple sites and no luck there either as those are slow too.

The ad on's I have are Adblock plus, Blur, EPubReader, Flashblock, Videodownloadhelper. I have 3 plugins (Flash, an H264 codec and Widevine Content... by Google).

Note that I have a stock Chrome install (no ad ons or anything else) on my machine. Chrome responds immediately when starts up and I type in the address bar. So I doubt it's DNS related because Chome presumably is doing the same lookup for the Google homepage plus other stuff Firefox is.

My antivirus is Avast (paid version). I'm running Win 7 Ultimate (64 bit), 16 Gigs of Ram and booting/running Firefox/Chrome from an SSD so it's not disk related that's for sure.

Any idea's why Firefox is so slow at initial startup.

Texas Tim
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can check for problems with the places.sqlite database in the Firefox profile folder.
This file stores bookmarks and history.

Places Maintenance: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... intenance/

See also:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Locked_or_dam ... ces.sqlite
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

TexasTim65 wrote:I'm having a similar problem to the OP and it just started very recently (last couple weeks or so).
The ad on's I have are Adblock plus, Blur, EPubReader, Flashblock, Videodownloadhelper. I have 3 plugins (Flash, an H264 codec and Widevine Content... by Google).

Note that I have a stock Chrome install (no ad ons or anything else) on my machine. Chrome responds immediately when starts up and I type in the address bar. So I doubt it's DNS related because Chome presumably is doing the same lookup for the Google homepage plus other stuff Firefox is.

Texas Tim

Try Ublock Origin instead of AdBlockPlus. Uses less RAM.

And Chrome has a built-in adblocker
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
TexasTim65

Post by TexasTim65 »

I installed Places Maintenance and ran it to clean everything up. It didn't make any difference.

I disabled AdBlockPlus and that didn't make any difference either.

However disabling Blur fixed the problem. When I re-enabled Blur it makes things slow again for 5-10 seconds when I first start Firefox.

So the problem appears to be Blur because when it's disabled everything is normal.

Anyone have any idea's why or is Blur just a bad app?

Texas Tim
ydaltak

Post by ydaltak »

TexasTim65 wrote:I installed Places Maintenance and ran it to clean everything up. It didn't make any difference.

I disabled AdBlockPlus and that didn't make any difference either.

However disabling Blur fixed the problem. When I re-enabled Blur it makes things slow again for 5-10 seconds when I first start Firefox.

So the problem appears to be Blur because when it's disabled everything is normal.

Anyone have any idea's why or is Blur just a bad app?

Texas Tim
i usually have Blur activated, so i will try disabling it and see what happens. thanks for the tip.