Google search not loading

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
yohanf

Google search not loading

Post by yohanf »

I've always had this problem of "pages" not loading in FF after running FF for some time. Tried many FF fixes/ optimisations (changing preferences in about:config to enable electrolysis etc) but the best way of solving these temporarily is restarting FF. Until I just realised that what wasn't working is Google searches.

It seems like after having FF open for sometime, entering a Google search in the address bar doesn't load the results. The loading circle on the tab keeps spinning. I can however go to any website I want to, or google.com and do a search. A quick fix is to restart FF, but this can be quite annoying, especially since I've had to do it every few hours.

I'm on FF54, UblockOrigin and Evernote Web Clipper are the only add-ons I have at the moment. This problem occurs on both Windows 10 and Windows 7

Here's what I've tried so far once the problem crops up
- Google search in address bar - doesn't load -
- Open new tab and search in address bar - doesnt load
- Search from search bar - doesn't load
- Search from new tab page (google search box on new tab page) - doesnt load
- Go to google.com using address bar and search on google.com search box - WORKS
- Change default search engine to DuckDuckGo (and without restart) try searching in address bar - WORKS
- Disabling ublockorigin, evernote web clipper - doesn't load

I'm not really sure if starting in Safe Mode will help me as this problem is solved once FF is restarted. Just trying to see if there's a way to fix it without restarting FF.

Clearly it seems like some issue with Google.

Anyone else come across this issue and/or has a possible fix?
DanRaisch

Re: Google search not loading

Post by DanRaisch »

Well, no point in guessing whether Safe Mode will help or not. Just try it. It's not a permanent change to your profile but only a temporary diagnostic step: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

If no improvement using Safe Mode, do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
yohanf

Post by yohanf »

I'll give Safe Mode a try and see what happens.

Your reply also made me realise that after reinstalling a FF fresh I didn't seem to have any problems. After a few days I changed my theme to the "Compact Dark" theme. Could be that. Giving it a try on the default theme.

Will report back on how I go.
yohanf

Post by yohanf »

I've tried safe mode, disabling add-ons, disabling themes and all dont seem to fix this issue.

Would increasing the browser cache help? Or is there some way to "refresh" the connection to google or something?

Anyone else come across a similar issue?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

There should be no need to change any cache settings to get search results. I certainly don't have to do that when using Firefox.

Try a new profile as I suggested above.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

therube

Post by therube »

"pages" not loading in FF after running FF for some time
RAM usage at those times?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript