Latest Firefox - problem with Outlook not closing

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
saint1

Latest Firefox - problem with Outlook not closing

Post by saint1 »

Hi...
I'm on Firefox 54.0.1 running Windows 7 (64 bit)

Since the latest FF update, I've not been able to close Outlook.com which I use to send/receive emails.

Prior to this, when I closed Outlook it automatically went to Msn.com (not that I really wanted that!) but at least Outlook did close.

I've not changed anything on my computer.

I have to exit Outlook via Start Manager. Not a big deal, but slightly annoying particularly since I've never had a problem with Outlook for many moons. Maybe a bug in the latest FF update?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks
DanRaisch

Re: Latest Firefox - problem with Outlook not closing

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving from Firefox General to Firefox Support.

Probably not a bug in Firefox as I have no problem here exiting Outlook/Hotmail using Firefox 54.0.1.
Exactly how are you exiting Outlook.com and what is happening when you do?
saint1

Post by saint1 »

Hi Dan...thanks for the reply.
Exiting Outlook normally: all I do is click 'X' top right, then nothing happens at all. Repeat clicks on the 'X' have zero effect. At least all emails etc work fine.
So then, as I've said, it's on to the Task Manager to close.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Let's be sure we're clear here. Are you speaking of the web site Outlook.com or the program Outlook? If the web site, have you tried using menu path File->Exit in Firefox rather than clicking on the "X"?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Related to what Dan posted... possibly a screen-shot of what is displayed might be good...
See: Posting_a_screenshot_on_the_forum.
Posting a screenshot on the forum - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
Use a compressed image format like .png or .jpg and please do not post large images that break the forum layout, use thumbnails instead or only post a link.
If you need a place to host a screenshot... Note the "Uploading for general use" section of the document.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
saint1

Post by saint1 »

Hi Dan...

Using Firefox, I visit 'outlook.live.com' to send/receive emails

Note: if I use Chrome (not a fan btw!) to do this then 'outlook.live.com' closes normally and, as I originally said, goes to 'Msn.com', the way FF always did too.

So, it may be coincidence, but only since FF updated has this 'problem' appeared...

Hope that clarifies things...

Many thanks
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

... I don't use Outlook so I'm not up on it...

But, and from my experience with sites, you say that you visit outlook.live.com which to me should be just a site like any other site...and I would think that a TAB is produced when doing so... and if so, then all you should have to do is click on the X on the TAB and it should close...

It seems/sounds to me like we are getting a mixed explanation about this... again... a screen-should would sure help...
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

More to dfoulkes' poiont, clicking the "X" at top right in a Firefox windows should mean clicking on the "Close" control and that shuts down the browser. Are you seeing anything like that if you visit sites other than Outlook/Hotmail?

See this for information on posting a screen shot --- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum
saint1

Post by saint1 »

Hi again...

Thanks for all the replies.

An apology from me! It's been a niggling week is my only defense (!!!) and I've discovered I've wrongly set out the problem.

Rather than clicking the 'X', I should've said clicking the default icon (head/body with green tick below it) top right just below Firefox 'hamburger' icon.

Clicking the 'X' closes Firefox and Outlook window, but not as I've found out, the Outlook.com. email window itself.

That remains 'open' but out of sight and doesn't close till I've shut down the computer or used 'Task Manager'

So, to clarify:

1. Previously, clicking the head/body icon closed Outlook completely (which is what I want) and goes direct to MSN.com.

2, Clicking the 'X' just closes Firefox window an leaves Outlook email window open (which I don't want)

3. This was never a problem until the FF update.

Once again, many apologies...but the 'problem' still persists.
James

Post by James »

The X on title bar just closes the one window and only closes the Firefox web browser if that was the only window open. Firefox will still be running if there are other Firefox windows open.

If you are using Tabs in Firefox just close the tab you have loaded the Outlook.com website in.
saint1

Post by saint1 »

Hi...

Just an update.

Decided to uninstall Firefox completely, download new from the website and re-install 54.0.1
Duly done but things are still the same..

Again, if I go via Chrome and click the 'head/body' icon top right, Outlook closes as before without any hassle

So why FF should suddenly change like this is beyond me, but now I have to assume it's something to do with FF. Hardly an earth-shattering 'problem' , but just a tad annoying, since I've now re-installed from scratch.

In future I'll just use Chrome to access my Outlook emails unless someone can enlightten me as to what's happened.

Thanks nevertheless to all for their input.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

We still haven't seen a screen shot so I'm not clear what you are referring to when you speak of "the 'head/body' icon top right"". And no one has reported being able to replicate the difficulty in closing a Firefox tab or Window that is displaying the Outlook/Hotmail web site.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

If we don't get a 'good' response from the OP with that screen-shot... it should be locked... so far... a waste of time.