Slow loading of sites.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
lacene

Slow loading of sites.

Post by lacene »

Sorry to use another's thread, but I am also experiencing slow-downs in accessing sites: when I click on links to sites posted on other sites, or links provided by a Google search. Often after clicking on the link, the little blue loading circle in the address box goes and goes, but never loads the site. I often have to stop the loading process and select reload, and then it loads faster. This only started happening with me over the past month, and I have used this PC since 2006 (WinXP HE 2002 SP3, FF 52.2.1).

And now in the same time period, when I DO manage to get onto the sites, the data of the pages are all scrambled up - all the graphics are gone, and the text and links are shoved over to the left side of the pages. It looks like the internet looked like back in 1998 or something. Here is what my Twitter looks like after just opening it:

Again, I have to refresh it once or twice, and it eventually formats normally. But that its struggling to process the web pages graphically is disturbing....

*edited for smaller image
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Dell Inspiron 10thG i7 Win11
lacene

Re: delay in going to sites

Post by lacene »

Here's another one - this time I tried to access USAToday.com:

Its like I'm back to using Compuserve..... :shock:
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Dell Inspiron 10thG i7 Win11
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

Have you tested in Firefox Safe mode go to > Menu > Help > Restart With add-ons Disabled

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tr ... -safe-mode
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

lacene - the image you posted is typically caused by not finding the .css style sheets. I have had this happen recently too (within the last month) and on the Mozillazine forum. Usually fixed by a refresh -- just press <F5> once or a couple times.

You can see this by selecting: View/Page Style/No Style and it looks much like your image.

I don't know why it happens and it is random too.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
DanRaisch

Re: Slow loading of sites.

Post by DanRaisch »

. Usually fixed by a refresh -- just press <F5> once or a couple times.
If that doesn't help, try clearing the cache and any cookies for that site:
To clear the browser cache (use menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->Network tab->click on "Clear Now" button.)
To delete any cookies relating to the site(s) involved (Tools->Options->Privacy->Firefox will "Use custom settings for History"->Show Cookies button).
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

clearing cache is not always needed - forced reload of all files --> ctrl+F5.
cookies to delete as noted.

what i have experienced when sites insert CSS styles with a script it looks like this. check also if scripts are blocked!
BruceAWittmeier

make me smarter...

Since you mentioned Ctrl+F5 what is the difference from just F5? It is my understanding that F5 refreshes a page and Ctrl-F5 will refresh the site -- meaning (if I understand correctly) any sub directories containing images, .css or other references. Right ?? Wrong ??

I never use Ctrl-F5 and the pages do fully refresh for me and will pickup the .css if that was the problem (missing information).

Edit: I have experimented with a page containing a specific image, reference a directory for the image, load the page. Then change only the content of the image (retain the exact same size & name) and reload the page. The image updates too with just F5.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

F5 will reload the page.
Ctrl+F5 will reload the page and do so by overriding any cached data for that page that might be stored by Firefox.
bendipa

Post by bendipa »

I had a similar experience with my old Dell Dimension PC from 2001. As certain websites became more complex the problem of no graphics and all text displayed vertically to the left became a frequent occurrence. It made no difference even if I did refresh. Mind you I was using Windows 2000 with Firefox 12 until 2016. However my banking website and the important ones I relied on never caused me a display issue. I put a lot of the problem down to HTML5 which most websites adopted a few years ago and with which Windows 2000 does not work properly. But my Dell wasn't compatible with a more modern OS.

In the end I finally decided to ditch the old Dell and buy bought a more modern PC last year, and installed it with Windows 7. Problem solved.
BruceAWittmeier

Thank you Dan and bendipa.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

If you have any content blocking extensions then make sure that you do not block essential files (CSS and JavaScript in particular).
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tr ... -safe-mode

It is possible that your security software is causing this problem.
Try to disable security software (anti-virus, firewall) temporarily to see whether that makes a difference or possibly boot the computer in Windows Safe Mode with network support.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutoria ... safe-mode/