Firefox 55 has broken all my add-ons

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
b1teman

Firefox 55 has broken all my add-ons

Post by b1teman »

Whats going on all my add-ons say Legacy and they do not work. Can anyone HELP????
c627627

Re: Firefox 55 has broken all my add-ons

Post by c627627 »

You may have jumped the gun in assuming they are broken just because of the LEGACY warning which means they will be broken in future version Firefox 57 if not updated by authors, which some will, some won't by the time Firefox 57 comes out. If they've been updated recently, it means they probably will be updated before Firefox 57 comes out.
Open the pod bay doors, Cortana.
Suze

Post by Suze »

all my add-ons have Legacy on the them
:roll: does that mean I will have NO add-ons soon #-o
Suze
allande

Post by allande »

There may be a sliver of hope - some extensions will have a webextensions version. For example, Ublock Origin. However, Firefox 57 is still three months away. The webextension version of Ublock Origin is still being tested and improved, so the released version if you have it of Ublock Origin is the old style and gets the legacy flag.
If you want to try to predict the future, look up an extension you wonder about in the Chrome app store. If it has a Chrome version, those are very similar to what is supported by webextensions. A Chrome extension existing means that very likely a Firefox version can be done. There may even be a way to just use some Chrome extensions in Firefox - just for fun - using this https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -foxified/
KRL

Post by KRL »

Wondering the same thing. Many popular extensions I have have been out a long time and function fine. I think FF is going to see a huge
exodus when 57 comes out and so many extensions are gone.

Lots of developers unfortunately make a great extension and that's it. Then years go by and they're on to other projects.

So we the users have no way to do anything about it.

:(
b1teman

Post by b1teman »

I have

LastPass.. Dose not work right

Privacy Badger I think it works fine

Private Tab Dose not work at all

Social Fixer for Facebook Works fine

Toolbar Buttons Dose not work at all

uBlock Origin Works as far as I can te;;

Zoom Page Dose not work

E-Web Print FF disabled it

HTTPS Everywhere Seems to work
gwe45gh

Post by gwe45gh »

FF 55 broke my add-ons too.

Solution: install Firefox ESR on top of your current installation.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

gwe45gh wrote:Solution: install Firefox ESR on top of your current installation.
That could lead to a big mess. FX 55 changes your profile and that profile isn't compatible with FX 52esr.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.1.0, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.9.1esr, Thunderbird 115.9.0, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

As Grissly pointed out... going back to a version prior to version 55 may cause issues...especially with bookmark icons.... that's why every user should/must do a profile backup 'prior' to all Firefox updates... to keep you out of trouble... I went from version 55 to the latest ESR version 'but' I made a copy of my main profile prior to updating to 55 so, then uninstalled Firefox, installed ESR and all I had to do was move that backed up profile that I had from version 54 (the new one was a default profile... as was my backed up one) into the appropriate area ... started up Firefox and all is as it was when I was running version 54.... ALWAYS back up profiles before updating... ALWAYS.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
gwe45gh

Post by gwe45gh »

You're right, my favicons did default to blanks after installing ESR. But that was an easy fix; visiting each site automatically fixed them.

I don't even know how to backup a profile. It seems irresponsible of Mozilla that you'd have to manually do that or you're screwed.

There seems to be a lot of people who only want security patches, and not updates that change the UI or break add-ons. Mozilla would be smart to give the people what they want. I don't have the time or desire to deal with my browser getting all messed up.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Here's the "How-to" on Profile Back Ups...
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup

You could even just copy it to a different place, as it will be re-named "whateveritwasbefore.copy."
Ref; the section on the .ini file.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
fxfan313

Post by fxfan313 »

Uh-oh. Keeping fingers crossed for TabMixPlus and NoSquint Plus. Think I better dust off my Chrome as well.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Or, once the next version of Waterfox is released for Windows, switch to that.

https://www.waterfoxproject.org/blog/
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Why keep flogging poorly engineered third party builds?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"