Firefox behaving strangely?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Norm@Home

Re: Firefox behaving strangely?

Post by Norm@Home »

Also another thing I tried, I backed up the saved passwords using an addon and then I uninstalled Firefox; I deleted both the AppData\Local\Mozilla and AppData\Roaming\Mozilla directories and reinstalled and there's still the exact same problem the bookmarks don't work; I can't create a new bookmark.

Any idea's?
Mark12547

Post by Mark12547 »

It sure sounds like you have tried the right stuff.

Does the profile path have a single quote (') in it? (This may be from having an ' as part of the user name.) If so, a number of things will be broken starting at Firefox 55, a commonly reported problem being bookmarks. (This is Bug 1388584 - Places breaks if there is a single-quote character in the profile path, resulting in Firefox freezing, not responding, and bookmarks being inaccessible.) It should be fixed soon and the fix probably distributed as Firefox 55.0.2.
Norm@Home

Post by Norm@Home »

Mark12547 wrote:It sure sounds like you have tried the right stuff.

Does the profile path have a single quote (') in it? (This may be from having an ' as part of the user name.) If so, a number of things will be broken starting at Firefox 55, a commonly reported problem being bookmarks. (This is Bug 1388584 - Places breaks if there is a single-quote character in the profile path, resulting in Firefox freezing, not responding, and bookmarks being inaccessible.) It should be fixed soon and the fix probably distributed as Firefox 55.0.2.
Yes, as a matter of fact that is the case.

Once this is fixed will I be able to restore the bookmarks from those .jsonlz4 files?
Mark12547

Post by Mark12547 »

Norm@Home wrote:Once this is fixed will I be able to restore the bookmarks from those .jsonlz4 files?
All I can do is offer an uninformed guess. If you have a pre-55 .jsonlz4 file, I would guess it would work. However, any .jsonlz4 file from 55 or 55.0.1 has a very high chance of having no bookmarks in it. (You might be able to tell by when the size of the .jsonlz4 files suddenly drops; be sure to save at least one good .jsonlz4 file, just in case the fix takes longer to distribute than anticipated.)

For all I know, once 55.0.2 is installed, suddenly the bookmarks might suddenly all reappear; I just don't know, but it is one thing to check once 55.0.2 is installed before going through the exercise of importing an old .jsonlz4 file.