MozillaZine

Firefox 55.0.1 x64

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
CaJazzman

User avatar
 
Posts: 221
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 2:21 pm
Location: Vacaville,California

Post Posted August 12th, 2017, 10:25 am

I, just installed Firefox 55.0.1 x64 when I had 54.0.1 x32, installed. How do I uninstall the x32 54.0.1, without uninstalling the x64 version? I, thought when overwritting it, that only the x64 would be left.:?:

Brummelchen
 
Posts: 2227
Joined: March 19th, 2005, 10:51 am

Post Posted August 12th, 2017, 10:38 am

you should uninstall both then install x64 again. it wont touch your profile.
uninstalling x86 also affects x64 installation, so you have to re-install x64 anyhow.
in very rare cases you need to re-install extension, eg. mozilla archive format (maff), but you will notice if some extension will fail, then return please and ask.

CaJazzman

User avatar
 
Posts: 221
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 2:21 pm
Location: Vacaville,California

Post Posted August 12th, 2017, 12:31 pm

Brummelchen wrote:you should uninstall both then install x64 again. it wont touch your profile.
uninstalling x86 also affects x64 installation, so you have to re-install x64 anyhow.
in very rare cases you need to re-install extension, eg. mozilla archive format (maff), but you will notice if some extension will fail, then return please and ask.

So, I saved my bookmarks but when I try to restore them, they won't restore. Now, what? :?:

John Liebson
 
Posts: 6451
Joined: July 29th, 2003, 1:09 pm

Post Posted August 12th, 2017, 1:08 pm

Brummelchen wrote:you should uninstall both then install x64 again. it wont touch your profile.
uninstalling x86 also affects x64 installation, so you have to re-install x64 anyhow.
in very rare cases you need to re-install extension, eg. mozilla archive format (maff), but you will notice if some extension will fail, then return please and ask.


I have installed Fx x64 on two Windows 10 computers that had Fx x86 installed; after installing the x64 version, on both computers I closed Fx, went into Windows settings and removed the x86 versions. The only effect of that action was that I then had to mark the X64 version as my default browser; there was no other effect caused by removing the x86 version on either machine.

therube

User avatar
 
Posts: 17503
Joined: March 10th, 2004, 9:59 pm
Location: Maryland USA

Post Posted August 13th, 2017, 9:04 am

So, I saved my bookmarks but when I try to restore them, they won't restore. Now, what?

Did you backup your Profile first?
How did you save your bookmarks?
How are you trying to restore them?
What happens when you try?

Why did anything happen to your original Profile that you need to restore your bookmarks?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

CaJazzman

User avatar
 
Posts: 221
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 2:21 pm
Location: Vacaville,California

Post Posted August 13th, 2017, 10:09 am

therube wrote:
So, I saved my bookmarks but when I try to restore them, they won't restore. Now, what?

Did you backup your Profile first?
How did you save your bookmarks?
How are you trying to restore them?
What happens when you try?

Why did anything happen to your original Profile that you need to restore your bookmarks?

I went into the bookmarks and chose backup bookmarks and saved them. Then after reinstalling the x64 version I went back into the bookmarks and chose restore and I chose the one I saved and nothing happened.
When I was told to uninstall the x32 and then the x64 it deleted everything. But, I had saved the profile, and after reinstalling the x64, I put the profile back into the profile and that worked like it should. But, just not the bookmarks I saved. :?:

Brummelchen
 
Posts: 2227
Joined: March 19th, 2005, 10:51 am

Post Posted August 13th, 2017, 12:08 pm

CaJazzman wrote:and then the x64 it deleted everything.

you speak about profile data?
that is currently not possible with the regular uninstaller:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/un ... r-computer
Remove user data and settings

The uninstaller does not remove any user data such as history or bookmarks. If you wish to completely remove this data, you must manually delete the Firefox folder containing your user profile

CaJazzman

User avatar
 
Posts: 221
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 2:21 pm
Location: Vacaville,California

Post Posted August 14th, 2017, 9:27 am

Brummelchen wrote:
CaJazzman wrote:and then the x64 it deleted everything.

you speak about profile data?
that is currently not possible with the regular uninstaller:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/un ... r-computer
Remove user data and settings

The uninstaller does not remove any user data such as history or bookmarks. If you wish to completely remove this data, you must manually delete the Firefox folder containing your user profile

That must be the case, because I use the Revo Uninstaller Pro, for all my programs. But, why then, when I saved the bookmarks, it didn't save the correct one? most likely my fault. Oh, well, I'm having to manually get them back. What a pain. Thx, though. 8-)

L.A.R. Grizzly

User avatar
 
Posts: 5287
Joined: March 15th, 2005, 5:32 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio, USA

Post Posted August 14th, 2017, 11:22 am

CaJazzman wrote:That must be the case, because I use the Revo Uninstaller Pro, for all my programs.


You can restore with Revo. Tools->Backup Manager
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Firefox 52.4.0esr, SeaMonkey 2.48, Pale Moon 27.5.1 and Thunderbird 52.4.0

CaJazzman

User avatar
 
Posts: 221
Joined: March 5th, 2009, 2:21 pm
Location: Vacaville,California

Post Posted August 14th, 2017, 11:38 am

L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:
CaJazzman wrote:That must be the case, because I use the Revo Uninstaller Pro, for all my programs.


You can restore with Revo. Tools->Backup Manager

Good to know, if I ever need to use it again. Thx, A bunch! 8-)

Brummelchen
 
Posts: 2227
Joined: March 19th, 2005, 10:51 am

Post Posted August 14th, 2017, 12:57 pm

revo and similar are NOT needed on firefox. you saw yourself what can happend - the unexpected.
i also own a copy of revo and other uninstallers (licensed) but i never used them by purpose. i always perform a pre-test in sandboxie to be aware of changes and settings. in case i dont like the software i have no remnants - in case i install it for real i have informations about killing it.

Return to Firefox Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], WaltS48 and 20 guests