MozillaZine

I lost all my firefox data

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
drawoh

Post Posted August 12th, 2017, 6:39 pm

When I started firefox my option was refresh or safe mode. I clicked refresh. I restarted my computer and I lost everything I had saved for years in Firefox. I don't even have Google as my homepage. On the desktop is a yellow folder titled "Old Firefox Data."

Please help.

Sugoi

Post Posted August 12th, 2017, 8:38 pm

Never encoutered such a situation as I make backups. However, my guess is that the "Old Firefox Data" folder contains all the files or rather your old Firefox profile before you did the refresh. Simply replace the current profile with the old one.

The Firefox profile is located in:
c:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox

xxx = Windows username

drawoh

Post Posted August 12th, 2017, 10:14 pm

Hi,

Thanks for responding to my query. When I tried to find c:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox after clicking Start-Run I got this message: "c:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a network...."

When I googled "Where is my firefox profile? it answered %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles. After clicking Start -Run, I found three folders in Mozilla-Firefox-Profiles.

One of the folders is dated 8-12-17 6:47 PM and another is dated 8-12-17 9:47 PM. (There is an earlier one from 2013.)

You say "simply replace the current profile with the old one." How exactly do I "replace?" What do I click to do this?

Please help.

malliz
Folder@Home

Post Posted August 12th, 2017, 11:54 pm

What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

drawoh

Post Posted August 13th, 2017, 1:14 am

That's not fair. Firefox erases all my profile information that I've accumulated for many years and I don't know how to get it back. And the best suggestion you have is to read this very complicated technical stuff that I can't follow. I ask for a lifeline and you throw me an anchor.

Wow. My Firefox browser is almost useless without my settings and things.

malliz
Folder@Home

Post Posted August 13th, 2017, 1:19 am

It didn't erase all the information it backed it up to that Old Firefox Data folder.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... d-settings
Last edited by malliz on August 13th, 2017, 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

Sugoi

Post Posted August 13th, 2017, 4:58 pm

drawoh wrote:You say "simply replace the current profile with the old one." How exactly do I "replace?" What do I click to do this?

Please help.

Just delete the content in the current profile's folder and copy all the "old stuff" into that one.

As you seem to have several profiles I suggest opening the "profiles.ini" to find out which profile (folder) is the default one or rather currently used one. You might as well use this opportunity and delete all the other profiles and make appropriate changes in the aforementioned "profiles.ini".

Return to Firefox Support