Customize (move icons to) the Add-on bar?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
markg2

Customize (move icons to) the Add-on bar?

Post by markg2 »

I click customize that's supposed to display icons for all installed extensions. Then you can drag the icon to a bar--in my case I would drag a few down to the add-on bar.

However, there are a number of extensions that are enabled, working but their associated icon is not among the 'customize' group. I know for certain that these extension icons were present in customize in the past.

Why some icons yes and some no?

Mark
DanRaisch

Re: Customize (move icons to) the Add-on bar?

Post by DanRaisch »

Which extensions are not showing up?
markg2

Post by markg2 »

Copy plain text 2
Flash video download
Informenter (most important to me)
Tab mix plus
uBlock origin
Happy112

Post by Happy112 »

Hi Mark,

Probably a dumb question, but in 'Customize', did you click the 'Restore Default' button ?

If that's not it : would you (just for now) disable uBlock Origin - it just might be the cause.
markg2

Post by markg2 »

Not a dumb question. Defaults displayed all the remaining icons except my most important one--InformEnter. Mozilla says to 'be careful with old versions' and this one is. I guess it's strange that it works in the 54 and 55 but just doesn't show up in customize. Is there any other way to get the Informenter active icon into the addon bar other than customize?

I did a google search and it appears that there's no similar extension-odd. I would think that an extension as easy and useful for automatically adding info to fill-in boxes would be in demand.

Anyway, I guess other than uninstalling and reinstalling the InformEnter there's no other solution?

Mark
Happy112

Post by Happy112 »

markg2 wrote: Anyway, I guess other than uninstalling and reinstalling the InformEnter there's no other solution?
Mark
I'm not even sure if that would work - the developer hasn't updated the add-on since 2013.

Just in case you're interested (maybe look for an alternative) :

When you look at this article and scroll down, you'll get a list of add-ons with most users, top-rated and featured add-ons and their current status :

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/07/firef ... july-2017/

And here you will see add-ons listed that are compatible with Firefox 57 :

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/tag/firefox57
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

markg2 wrote:I click customize that's supposed to display icons for all installed extensions. Then you can drag the icon to a bar--in my case I would drag a few down to the add-on bar.

However, there are a number of extensions that are enabled, working but their associated icon is not among the 'customize' group. I know for certain that these extension icons were present in customize in the past.

Why some icons yes and some no?

Mark
The extension that I use(d) ...
The Addon Bar (Restored) :: Add-ons for Firefox

...has failed in my version of 55.0 ... and you still have that bar working in your profile?... if so, how did you get it to work?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
markg2

Post by markg2 »

I had used that extension too and it failed. I'm using The New Addon Bar and it seems to be working.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... r/?src=api

Mark

P.S. If anyone has found some sort of form enter extension or not even an automatic 'click the icon' next to a fill in box but something that would open a saved info listing that you could copy/paste from--let me know!
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Thanks for that bar... it will also go away with version 57...unless it is rewritten....

I may end up just sticking with version 54 ... I like all my stuff and I made a copy of the profile.
markg2

Post by markg2 »

I've checked the old version website and it looks like my oldest image, not going back to clean installs, is ~27th of July and that appears to be after 54 was released and 54 doesn't display the icon I need in customize.

So if I take a stab at an even earlier version in the range of 45 to 50, is there a version known to have either a serious bug or serious security flaw?

Understand, this is total convenience thing for me, I can live with 55 with updates off for the time being if doing as I'm suggesting above is dumb.

Makr
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

markg2 wrote:
So if I take a stab at an even earlier version in the range of 45 to 50, is there a version known to have either a serious bug or serious security flaw?

Understand, this is total convenience thing for me, I can live with 55 with updates off for the time being if doing as I'm suggesting above is dumb.

Makr
Welllll..... all software, even the latest Firefox, will have something wrong with it... if you have been using Firefox up to the point of the version you decide to use... and it worked fine for you... then I wouldn't worry about it.... I'll either go back to version 54 or try out the ESR version.

EDIT ... the same for me... the only reason I use Firefox is because of all the flexibility that it has (had) ... I use over 30 extensions and a lot of them are ones that give me what I want ... Mozilla moving on to a version where those extensions no longer work makes me stay with version 54 (when I do it) ... or move on to another browser... seems that they didn't do much reviewing of what users need and use.
markg2

Post by markg2 »

I have never felt comfortable with Chrome's interface. I don't trust MS from long experience. I downloaded Opera yesterday. I'll be looking through their extension availability and chat up some folks on their forum.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Just a FYI.

When 55 came out I backed up my version 54... both using FEBE and in this case I got into Windows file explorer and copied (with Firefox closed) my whole profile and just saved it in my Backup folder.

Yesterday, I decided to get rid of version 55 so I uninstalled it, installed the latest ESR version, replaced the new default profile with that copy that I had made, started up Firefox... checked out my stuff and I'm happy to say that all extensions etc. work fine. Those extensions started failing with 55 so that is why I did the change... I know that ESR stuff will also change in the future but/and there will come a time when I just stop updating Firefox... I can live with that.
Oma1942

Post by Oma1942 »

@dfoulkes:

I switched over to ESR on April 19 and all is fine. I intend to stay on ESR and next year April/May will stay on ESR with the updates turned off. Meanwhile I have been downloading and saving all my xpi extensions in a folder in case they disappear from AMO so that I will be able to use them, just in case.
markg2

Post by markg2 »

Why would you do ESR vs. selecting an earlier version and not updating?