Firefox 55.0.1 64 Bit Hangs, Freezes, Stalls intermittently

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dannylee11

Firefox 55.0.1 64 Bit Hangs, Freezes, Stalls intermittently

Post by dannylee11 »

I noticed this began after updating to the newest version of windows 10. After my pc updated, I also updated my firefox to version 55. Now, no matter what I do, I'm getting stalls, hangs, freezes (whatever you want to call it), that last anywhere from 10 seconds to a couple of minutes. This happens anytime I try to load a page, including just pulling up google. Also i noticed that addon's will not install, they just hang there and the "Add" button never becomes available.

This is all happening while my system resources are not being heavily used... in fact i can run Chrome just fine in the background while firefox is just a stalling away. It's to a point to it would be impossible to use. Anytime i click a link, opening a url, try to load a page, etc... it just stalls out. Sometimes i get a "script is taking too long to load" error, but choosing any of the options (continue, stop script) have no effect.

I've attempted to completely remove firefox (using revo uninstaller) and all of it's entries, folders, leftover files, and then manually reinstall firefox with no addons, and without loggining into my sync account. It's as barebones as you can get it, and it still keeps doing the same thing.

This is a problem as firefox has always been my work browser, so all of my bookmarks and addons i need are available to only firefox.

I've looked through some walkthru's for help, but i cannot find anything that is relatively new... all forums stuff from a few years ago and very likely not relevant to this scenario since it just happened with this latest version of firefox.... so I didn't know where else i could turn to help for this.

If im missing anything that can help assist witht his issue, just let me know... I apologize in advance if my mozillazine forum etiquette is sub par, im brand new around here.

Thanks for the help!
DanRaisch

Re: Firefox 55.0.1 64 Bit Hangs, Freezes, Stalls intermitten

Post by DanRaisch »

Those walkthrus are likely still valid, despite the years. The diagnostic steps haven't changed.

To be sure we understand what you've done thus far, when you say you "completely remove[d] firefox" did that include deletion of the Firefox profile? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_in_use
Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
What security software are you running on that Win 10 system?
dannylee11

Post by dannylee11 »

First:
When I say "Completely removed firefox" that means i used Revo Uninstaller to remove everything attached to the firefox installation including registry keys, folders, files, roaming appdata, etc... and started a 100% fresh install, and did not log into sync. There are no addons, extensions, themes. Now when i open the "Profiles" folder located in the %Appdata% folder, everything has a install date of just a couple of hours ago, including the "parent.lock" file that I was just instructed to delete by the instructions located in "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_in_use"... this is because i just reinstalled firefox a couple of hours ago.

This is what is inside my profile.ini:
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/m23w92io.default
Default=1

and that is the correct path & filename for the profile showing in the "Path="

another note that may be helpful is that i have never used multiple profiles or a profile manager. I just install firefox, login to sync and go (I did not log into sync this time).... this has been my method for 10+ years of using firefox.

NEXT:
I have tried running Firefox in safe mode by launching via command prompt with admin privileges, and still same behavior. Cannot even load google homepage without it freezing up for several seconds.

LAST:
The only security software i'm running, and have ever ran is the default Windows Defender program... which scans without finding any threats

Are there any more troubleshooting steps I can do that will help?
Mark12547

Post by Mark12547 »

Is there a single quote (') anywhere in the path of your user profile? (You can go into about:support, scroll down to "Profile Folder" and click on "Open Folder". This will open an Explorer window and the address bar in it will have the full path to your profile.) If there is a single quote anywhere within that path, you would probably be hitting https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1388584 (Places breaks if there is a single-quote character in the profile path, resulting in Firefox freezing, not responding, and bookmarks being inaccessible).
dannylee11

Post by dannylee11 »

This is the full path:
C:\Users\Danny's-Work\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\m23w92io.default

I'm not sure if the "'" in "Danny's-Work" would have an effect, however I've never had issues before up until this point.
allande

Post by allande »

Yes the ' is the problem. The bug didn't exist until Firefox 55, it was ok before. I think Firefox 55.0.2 will be released within the next few days and that should fix it.
dannylee11

Post by dannylee11 »

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to look into that for me... it's been driving me crazy. I'll await the update for the fix, and if that does not work i'll change my computer name and remove the '

If all else fails i'll be back!
sunshine3748

Post by sunshine3748 »

I'm having the same problem with 55.0.1- hangs, freezes, non-responsive, etc. I reverted to 32 bit 55.0 and back to 'normal.' Problem is when I reboot FF gets updated again to 55.0.1- very frustrating.
I run Win 10 Pro 64 bit.
RiffRaff028

Post by RiffRaff028 »

I found this thread while researching the same problem after my upgrade to 55.0.1 64-bit, but I am running Linux Mint 18, not Windows. This problem is manifesting itself across multiple platforms, it would seem.

I am hoping the 55.0.2 upgrade that was mentioned is going to fix it, but I wanted to post here to let people know the problem doesn't seem to be confined to a single operating system.

Riff
sunshine3748

Post by sunshine3748 »

Apparently 55.0.2 resolved these problems- at least for me.
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

I am seeing a lot of this behavior (Hangs, Freezes, Stalls intermittently) in this version:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 ID:20170821193225

Was fine in all previous versions.

The Windows interface is fine. Start menu, other programs are all behaving properly.

Using Task Manager to kill Firefox, it will work OK for a little while, then peters right out.
Last edited by DN123ABC on August 24th, 2017, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I am seeing a lot of this behavior (Hangs, Freezes, Stalls intermittently) in this version:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 ID:20170821193225
That's getting off topic for a thread on version 55.0.1. The more so because 56.0 is not yet released. Let's stay on track.
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

Ha ha. On top of that, I think it was an extension. I forgot I retried Forecastfox fixed version. Disabling that extension seems to have perked Firefox back up. Sorry about that.