FF55 and custom search engines

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ianas

FF55 and custom search engines

Post by ianas »

in the past custom search engines/settings wore stored in an xml file in a subfolder searchplugins of your profile folder
I use to move custom searches between OS's and devices after playing with my profile I found out that simply copying searchplugins into my profile doesn't work anymore but if I try ti add a search engine present in searchplugins I get an error that an engine with the same name already exists.
my question is does anybody know where newer Firefox keeps extra search engines and how can we manipulate them?
DanRaisch

Re: FF55 and custom search engines

Post by DanRaisch »

ianas

Post by ianas »

DanRaisch wrote:See this article -- https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1120564
tanks for that
I guess an upgrade I did in the past imported my xml search engines into search.json
I'll go thru my list of engines and readd them into said json file
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

ianas wrote:tanks for that
I guess an upgrade I did in the past imported my xml search engines into search.json
I'll go thru my list of engines and readd them into said json file
1. Place your .xml search engine files into your searchplugins folder in your profile folder.
2. Delete search.json.mozlz4 and FX will rebuild your search plugins from that folder and create a new search.json.mozlz4
3. If you want to modify or remove a search engine, just repeat the process above.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.1.0, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.9.1esr, Thunderbird 115.9.0, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2