Back to square one with F/F 55.0.2

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
0rinoco

Back to square one with F/F 55.0.2

Post by 0rinoco »

Just over a week ago, I had a problem with the latest update of Firefox, ver. 55.0.1. This was resolved with the help of Dan Raisch who pointed me in the direction of a ver. 54 download. I was quite happy with this. However, Firefox has just carried out an automatic update to build 55 and I am once again suffering exactly the same symptoms that I had previously. I have tried repeating Dans instructions, but it now results in yet another 55.0.2 version. Can anyone tell me how I can locate and download vers. 54, please? Thanks in anticipation.
Reflective

Re: Back to square one with F/F 55.0.2

Post by Reflective »

You appear to be running Windows 7 so to start with, run Windows System Restore and choose a Restore point prior to the Firefox 55.0 update which took place on August 8. This will wind back the clock to the time FF54 was installed. If you can't see enough Restore points, checkmark the box to "Show more restore points".

Next, click Tools ---> Options ---> Advanced and then click the Update tab. Checkmark the option "Never check for updates" to prevent Firefox from reinstalling 55.0.1 again. If you can't see the Tools menu hit the ALT key.

Next, download Firefox ESR 64-bit but don't run the setup file yet.

Next, uninstall Firefox 54.0.1 via Start ---> Settings ---> Control Panel ---> Programs and Features and then reboot.

When the machine reboots to the desktop, install the Firefox ESR file you downloaded earlier. Firefox ESR will be supported until June 26 next year. The current version is 52.3.0

Last but not least, have a look at the following article regarding Waterfox 55.0.1 on ghacks.net which might provide the solution to supporting legacy extensions indefinitely. The Windows version hasn't been made available yet though.
0rinoco

Post by 0rinoco »

Reflective wrote: Next, click Tools ---> Options ---> Advanced and then click the Update tab. Checkmark the option "Never check for updates" to prevent Firefox from reinstalling 55.0.1 again. If you can't see the Tools menu hit the ALT key.
Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. Unfortunately, the problem I have results in a blank screen and I am unable to access the 'Advanced' tab on the Tools menu. I am using Chrome at the moment to post messages. Any other suggestions?
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Did you run Windows System Restore first?
0rinoco

Post by 0rinoco »

Reflective wrote:Did you run Windows System Restore first?
Yes. Another thing I should mention (don't know if it's relevant) the windows take ages to close.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Sounds like you've got problems with the operating system which you need to sort out first.

First step will be to scan Windows for corruption from an elevated command prompt. To get one of those hit the Windows key and type: CMD in Search box at the bottom of the Start menu. When it appears, right click it and click "Run As Administrator". Type sfc /scannow in the command prompt window and hit Enter. It takes about 20-30 mins to run on average depending on how many files are corrupt, but you're likely to get one of two possible results bearing in mind that you say Windows takes a long time to close. These are:
  • 1. Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and fixed them all.
    2. Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
In the event that you get the second one, download the "checkSUR tool" a.k.a. as the "System Update Readiness Tool" from here and then run it: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downloa ... x?id=20858

If you download it with Internet Explorer you can run it immediately otherwise download it with Firefox and then run it from the Downloads folder.

Let me know how you get on and then we can address the Firefox problem once the OS is running optimally.
0rinoco

Post by 0rinoco »

Well, thanks for your help, but I am so weary of all these problems with Firefox that I have downloaded 'Brave' browser to help me out (not fond of Chrome). Brave seems to be OK and is remarkably fast, so I shall wait until Mozilla sorts out the bugs. I never did succeed in getting Youtube sound again, after it disappeared, but I could have tolerated that. I've used Firefox practically from the beginning without problems, but it is now taking up too much of my time. and of course that of other people like yourself.
Thanks again, and off to bed, now. Good night.