Getting around "Insecure Connection" (Mac)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Eljoo

Getting around "Insecure Connection" (Mac)

Post by Eljoo »

Hello! I'm not a member of this community so I'm sorry for coming here with a random issue, but I'm hoping someone here would be willing to help me out. :)

I'm a teacher getting Insecure Connection notifications when I try to visit several websites, including YouTube, which is very useful for my job. I tried to troubleshoot and talk to the school district's tech people, and they confirmed that I should have access but that some form of this is going on:

"Monitoring/filtering in corporate networks

Some traffic monitoring/filtering products used in corporate environments might intercept encrypted connections by replacing a website's certificate with their own, at the same time possibly triggering errors on secure HTTPS-sites. If you suspect this might be the case, please contact your IT department to ensure the correct configuration of Firefox to enable it working properly in such an environment, as the necessary certificate might have to be placed in the Firefox trust store first."

However, they are unwilling or unable to help me fix the problem because they only know how to do it on the school computers. I was not issued a school computer because we don't have enough to go around to all of the teachers, therefore I'm confined to this one. Is there anything I can do to fix or work around this problem on my end?

Some information: I'm running OSX El Capitan Version 10.11.6 (15G1510), and Firefox 54.0.1 (64-bit). When I first joined the school district two years ago I could access everything. Over time I lost access to YouTube and Facebook and a few other sites. Sporadically I will be able to access them again (for example, yesterday I could access Facebook) but it is rare. YouTube is the one I need the most for work purposes.

Thank you so much!
Last edited by DanRaisch on August 17th, 2017, 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added (Mac) to subject line.