Flash sound lags under Linux

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
pcfan1234

Flash sound lags under Linux

Post by pcfan1234 »

Hi,
I am using the latest Firefox release for Ubuntu 17.04. I have installed Flash using the Package manager Synaptic. Flash is working in Firefox, but the sound is delayed a half second. ALSA and Pulseaudio is also installed. I can reproduce this issue in SeaMonkey too. First I thought my Pentium 4 is too slow, but I have a notebook with a fast i7 4800MQ and there I have the same problem. The CPU usage on the older Computer is only 80%. I tried to use a new profile for FF and SM too, but I can reproduce this effect on both computers.
It's not the problem of the webpage, because with the Pepper-based Flash player in Chrome everything works fine. I happened on every website using a Flash applet. Only the sound in the Flash applet is delayed. HTML5 sound works fine.
What can I do to avoid the delay sound in Flash Applets in Firefox?

Kind regards pcfan1234
Grumpus

Re: Flash sound lags under Linux

Post by Grumpus »

If you read the changelog for Ubuntu Firefox there was an issue (limited or no sound) with the Alsa sound base.
Best to check Ubuntu forums where someone may have come up with a solution.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
barbaz

Re: Flash sound lags under Linux

Post by barbaz »

pcfan1234 wrote:What can I do to avoid the delay sound in Flash Applets in Firefox?
You can use freshplayerplugin and the PPAPI Flash plugin instead of the NPAPI Flash plugin. The downside is that sometimes graphics will freeze.

freshplayerplugin is available as browser-plugin-freshplayer-pepperflash in the Ubuntu repos, or you can self compile it from source https://github.com/i-rinat/freshplayerplugin