55.0.2: video color channels distorted

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
mjackson

55.0.2: video color channels distorted

Post by mjackson »

Just upgraded to 55.0.2 and videos (e.g. Facebook, /New York Times/) have color channel issues: green seems to be properly displayed, but red and blue are both distorted (elongated vertically) and shifted out of alignment with green. Makes for interesting viewing, but not what I want.

Firefox safe mode fixes the problem but running in normal mode with extensions (Image Zoom and Web Developer) manually disabled does not. Local video files played with VLC are normal; animated GIFS in Firefox are normal. Suggestions?
An ideology has axioms and algorithms; a view of life has approaches and approximations. - Adam Gopnik
MarkRH

Re: 55.0.2: video color channels distorted

Post by MarkRH »

Might try going to Options -> Advanced -> General and toggle the Use Hardware Acceleration option.
mjackson

Post by mjackson »

That seems to do the trick! (The toggle is actually at the bottom of Options -> General; it appears when one unchecks "Use recommended performance settings")

So this is a bug introduced in 55.0.2?
An ideology has axioms and algorithms; a view of life has approaches and approximations. - Adam Gopnik
mjackson

Post by mjackson »

I should mention that this is 64 bit FF on an HP laptop; 32 bit 55.0.2 running on my wife's Samsung (64 bit Windows 7) does not have this problem.
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

mjackson wrote:That seems to do the trick! (The toggle is actually at the bottom of Options -> General; it appears when one unchecks "Use recommended performance settings")

So this is a bug introduced in 55.0.2?
Ooops! My bad, sorry. Hard a brain fart there. Anyway, I don't have that specific issue but do have some other performance related issues with this version when it comes to watching Flash videos which some sites still use.

It might be related to your graphics drivers. Might check if updated versions are available.
mjackson

Post by mjackson »

MarkRH wrote:It might be related to your graphics drivers. Might check if updated versions are available.
Tried that - drivers are already up to date. Guess I'll wait for the next release and test whether turning HW acceleration back on is then OK.

Thanks for the help.
mjackson

Post by mjackson »

mjackson wrote:
MarkRH wrote:It might be related to your graphics drivers. Might check if updated versions are available.
Tried that - drivers are already up to date. Guess I'll wait for the next release and test whether turning HW acceleration back on is then OK.
Not fixed by 55.0.3.