Where is Reader View??

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Odin2

Where is Reader View??

Post by Odin2 »

I've been looking in vain for the Reader View option. Since I didn't see it anyplace, I went to Fx's safe mode, with no better luck. I checked both each address bar and the View menu. Is this option gone?
mightyglydd

Re: Where is Reader View??

Post by mightyglydd »

You using Classic Theme Restorer?
If so make sure it's checked > Options > Advanced > At the top.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Mightyglydd, you're brilliant! Your solution works, of course--but I can't figure out why. Safe Mode is supposed to disable all extensions, and CTR is certainly an extension. Can you explain?
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Yeah I wondered about that, something in about:config I suspect....but nowadays who knows or cares, as long as it works. :)
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

You're right, I shouldn't care, since it works (!), but I can't help pitying the poor souls who wasted time and perhaps gave up. And there might be a lesson for the future. Perhaps someone else knows?
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

Yeah, the about:config settings that CTR or any extension changes remain active after CTR/extension is disabled.
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Thanks, Mark. That makes perfect sense, as I know that other extensions share that disconcerting property. Maybe Mozilla should warn users when they start to invoke the safe mode.
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

Another question has surfaced. After implementing Reader View (for http://bit.ly/2eyNdpL), I returned to the conventional view by re-clicking the Reader View icon. But now I can't bring back Reader View! Refreshing the page with F5 or Ctrl+F5 doesn't help. Do I have to restart Fx whenever I want to bring back a page's Reader View?
flaneurb

Post by flaneurb »

It's better to provide complete links rather than shortened urls when there isn't any constraint on the message length.
Odin2

Post by Odin2 »

"It's better...." Why?