Make firefox usable on slower computer with Linux

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
stevensegalfan4000

Make firefox usable on slower computer with Linux

Post by stevensegalfan4000 »

Hi,

I have a laptop that's pretty slow compared to most computers (Acer cloudbook 14, Celeron N3050 processor) and firefox is really slow on it, especially starting up.

Specifically, when I first open firefox, the window appears, but then it's unresponsive for about 22 seconds. During that time I notice one of the CPU cores is at 100%. What is it doing, and is there a way to stop this?

I'd appreciate any other tips for making firefox more usable on a slow computer, and also tips on how to make firefox use less memory.
Last edited by stevensegalfan4000 on September 14th, 2017, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Re: Make firefox usable on slower computer

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you tried starting Firefox in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
If no improvement using Safe Mode, do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Also, how much memory do you have in there. I use a ACER Aspire with 4gig and my profile has around 30 extensions in it... I have no issues with Firefox starting up...also, no issues with it relating to browsing speed... only problem here is with some vids.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
stevensegalfan4000

@DanRaisch
I tried safe mode and it did start up quicker. So I tried disabling Adblock, which is the only add on that I've installed - I don't have anything else, no extra themes or anything like that. Now after the firefox window appears, the CPU stays at 100% for about 6 seconds, down from 22 which it was before. Which sucks because without adblock, most of the internet is unusable, especially on this laptop.

@dfoulkes
Just 2GB which I know isn't much, but I have a very stripped down Linux system with no other software running, and there seems to be 876MB free right now. I don't usually have more than 4 tabs open, and I often notice the CPU meter gets quite high while I'm using firefox, so I'm thinking the slowness is more because of the slow CPU rather than running out of RAM.
What CPU do you have in your laptop?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Try "uBlock Origin" as it uses less resources that ABP.
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... in/?src=ss
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

the problem is that the celeron/dual core in a pad is slow. those are not designed to be fast, and those are not designed for current software. its 3 times slower than an i3 processor.
stevensegalfan4000

@LIMPET235
Thanks, I'll try it.
In the meantime, are there any tips for making firefox more usable on slower computers? Things to disable or tweak in about:config and stuff like that.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I suggest that you change your topic title to include Linux... Attracts those users.
therube

Post by therube »

when I first open firefox, the window appears, but then it's unresponsive for about 22 seconds
I would think disabling "telemetry-like" reporting would help.
Disable "safe-browsing" (if you're comfortable with that).
Disable "pocket" & whatever other crap that FF includes by default.
(I created a new FF profile today, & opening that, to me seemed too time consuming - at least first impression.
As in I created the Profile for a reason, & I wanted it to open, cleanly & quickly. But instead it brings up some "ad" about registering for some BS, oh I don't know, login or some such. Anyhow, the impression was slow. Get that crap out of my face & let me get on with what I want to do.)

I'm here on a clean XP (so probably comparable to your Linux) with 2 GB RAM, Intel E4300 (not sure how that compares to your N3050), GeForce4 MX 440 video (AGP).
I use uBlock & NoScript.
I have Flash disabled. Rarely do "media" (videos & whatnot).

Computer & browser (SeaMonkey) generally work fine for me (in a work environment).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

stevensegalfan4000 wrote: @dfoulkes
Just 2GB which I know isn't much, but I have a very stripped down Linux system with no other software running, and there seems to be 876MB free right now. I don't usually have more than 4 tabs open, and I often notice the CPU meter gets quite high while I'm using firefox, so I'm thinking the slowness is more because of the slow CPU rather than running out of RAM.
What CPU do you have in your laptop?
AMD dual core...2 cpu's 1.2 ghz
therube

Post by therube »

Set your home page & new tab/window page to about:blank.
(You might need an extension in FF for that?)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript