Jerky vids.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dfoulkes

Jerky vids.

Post by dfoulkes »

1. I'm now using the latest ESR ... but this also happened for normal Firefox and started long ago.
2. I'm using a rather old 4gig laptop with Win7 pro...but works fine for most stuff.
3. I tried this link in IE and portable Chrome.... no problems with the below vid.
4. I restarted my Firefox into safe-mode ... same problem. Also, the profile I tested with
is set to clear all cookies and cache so that's not an issue.
5. Tried the vid with H.A. on and off... same problem.

So, I think that I've covered the basics...anybody have any thoughts?

The sample problem vid that freezes then starts then freezes etc...
https://www.wimp.com/meteorologist-vs-hurricane/

BTW....that guy sure earned his wages that day :lol:
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Grumpus

Re: Jerky vids.

Post by Grumpus »

I got an error loading video, no playable sources found.
Haven't had this problem with wimp before but I know my media packages are working fine.
Could just be a one off case.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

dfoulkes wrote:anybody have any thoughts?
WFM...Have you gone to Add-Ons > Plugins > Flash > Options and unchecked Enable Adobe flash protected mode?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
therube

Post by therube »

Fine here. (Specs, http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14766461.)
Yes, requires Flash.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

mightyglydd wrote:
WFM...Have you gone to Add-Ons > Plugins > Flash > Options and unchecked Enable Adobe flash protected mode?
I have updated Flash in here but there is no Options for it... I ran that vid again, stopped it...right-clicked on it and it states that it's powered by JW player.... I've seen that and have wondered about it... I don't have it installed in here AFAIK. So, looks like Flash isn't handling it?
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

dfoulkes wrote:
mightyglydd wrote:
I have updated Flash in here but there is no Options for it... I ran that vid again, stopped it...right-clicked on it and it states that it's powered by JW player.... I've seen that and have wondered about it... I don't have it installed in here AFAIK. So, looks like Flash isn't handling it?
Google up JW Player and read some articles... you don't have to 'install' anything. Its a web API for HTML5 rich video, etc....

EDIT: that video play's OK here on win10 x64, latest Nightly build. (32bit) - site does not use flash.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

FWIW, video plays fine here with FF-Nightly on Mac.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Thanks all for your help... I did read up on that player and did see that nothing installs... reviewing help sites dealing with the problem but all posts are old... so far... I'll report back if I find a fix... next test is reboot my pc into safe-mode.

Thanks again.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Followup note.... this vid also uses that same player and I had no issues... weird
https://www.wimp.com/bird-doesnt-like-t ... rs-finger/
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

I'm also running ESR latest version, but don't have a problem with videos on Wimp. After watching the hurricane clip I loaded the next one which features a comparison between the technologies of 62 years ago compared with today on how plywood is manufactured. Quite fascinating actually.

Since the plywood one is a youtube video there's a menu option called "Stats for nerds" on the context menu which shows how the clip is performing on your system. I took a screenshot of mine: https://i.imgur.com/vubwGfY.png

Maybe try that one yourself and compare the results.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Yeah... watched that plywood one also... amazing about those changes in technology/production.

And thanks for the 'Stats for nerds' stuff ... I wasn't aware of that options. Using that plywood vid I started it up and first checked the the quality setting... it showed 480p... and that vid ran fine plus the stats looked not as good as yours (assuming I figured out what some of those colors were on the bars) but I think my values are good... no dropped frames and the buffering looked good. Then while I was watching that vid I paused it, went into settings and changed it to HD1080 and started it up again... froze for awhile then jerked all over the place, the buffering started to look broken up and now it got lots of dropped frames. I killed it off because there was nothing to really watch... sound kept playing though.

For a long time I've had to drop down the quality value in U.T. when HD started coming over... but I was always able to enjoy the vids in that lower value...then came along JW player... no controls. but the weird thing is that using the same hardware all those HD vids work fine in Chrome and IE... so I guess it is some relationship between Firefox and my hardware...only... know what I mean.