you tube issues (Mac)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jrrjbl

you tube issues (Mac)

Post by jrrjbl »

I have, like apparently many , issues with youtube. Either taking from an email or an embedded url in FF, I get a black screen with "your browser does not currently recognize and of the video formats available" and directs me to https://www.youtube.com/html5

I have searched this board and not found anything to this specific issue. I am running FF 55.0.3 on a 2013 IMAC running 10.12.6. Apple professes no knowledge and says "use Safari" which I dislike all together.

I have tried safe mode and it doesn't work. Any suggestions or do I just have to go to Chrome?

Thanks
Last edited by DanRaisch on September 15th, 2017, 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added (Mac) to subject line.
RobertJ

Re: you tube issues (Mac)

Post by RobertJ »

This youtube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4iyPXHM89E

and others play on FF55.0.3, FF56beta and FF57Nightly on Mac OS 10.12.6

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
jrrjbl

Post by jrrjbl »

Robert
May be the case, but it doesn't run on mine in any way. My fear is somewhere or how, I hit the wrong check mark and caused this.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Try creating a new temporary profile. Quit FF and then go to

Applications -> Utilities

and launch Terminal.app

Then paste this in exactly without the quotes

"/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox -P"

and hit return

You will see a screen that looks like this

click on the "Create Profile" button and follow the instructions. See if that helps.

To go back to your old or default profile simply quit and restart FF from the profile manager and select your default profile.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
jrrjbl

Post by jrrjbl »

I will give it a try in the morning. I have figured out a clumsy way to keep FF working. I have defaulted Safari as prime but use FF as the lead. When I need youtube capabilities, it will automatically bring up Safari and runs just fine. When finished minimize Safari to dock and toggle to always open ff. Stupid but works like a charm.

In the morning I will try your way. Thanks much
jrrjbl

Post by jrrjbl »

That worked. Obviously in the clean version I lost all bookmarks etc. Hopefully there can be a simple transfer of "stuff". My guess is it could also transfer the fault as well.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Transferring data file by file and testing between transfers can give you access to the old data without transferring the problem.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox
jrrjbl

Post by jrrjbl »

Thanks Dan. I am only concerned re bookmarks and passwords. I am convinced that having 7 Flash/youtube add ons are my problem. Just not sure which or all to remove. I will probably take a chance and remove all 7 and see what happens.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Which "7 Flash/youtube add ons" do you have installed?
jrrjbl

Post by jrrjbl »

Now I only have three Flash Video Player, Youtube video download and converter and You Tube video player and speed. I can't remember the other four but none were not "official" rather recommended fixes over the years, these are now gone.
Lots of stupid on my part. Still not sure what I should have installed.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You should only need Adobe Flash player. Anything beyond that is optional and you should remove them until you determine if they are involved in/causing the problems.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

hope this is not suggested already
Check this in About:config > media.gmp.decoder.enabled > true
Fixed my setup ..... but I'm on Windows
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
jrrjbl

Post by jrrjbl »

Well cleaned out all the superfluous"players and loaded adobe flash over again. Changed default to FF as default again browser. Right back to black screen and no you tube. This is ridiculous
jrrjbl

Post by jrrjbl »

Now awake with coffee. Realized by mistake that Youtube Flash player has an option to designate HTML5 video play. I picked it for laughs. Bingo, dark screens now show videos. Now this is subject to change if the earth's electrical fields reverse but will see if this works going forward.
Robert the video you initially said to try to open does not work but said it was "not available" rather than the format not available message.