Firefox SESSION MANAGER - Restoration after upgrade!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
YborChach

Firefox SESSION MANAGER - Restoration after upgrade!

Post by YborChach »

I have a situation that just occurred. I'm presently recovering from Hurricane Irma in Florida in which I lost my internet and electricity among many other things....sigh In the process of getting both back - somehow, my Mozilla Firefox Browser (which I think was ver. 43.0.1) was updated to ver. 55.0.3 (32 bit - which I don't think this is the right bit for my computer).

I had Session Manager on my older browser before this happened and I had a lot of critical Tab Sessions saved within it. Now that I have an updated browser I no longer have my Session Manager anywhere to be seen.

Please - someone tell me how I can get back all of my Session Manager saved Tab Sessions.

Thank You! Ybor (who's been dealing for too long now with enough shenanigans due to Hurricane Irma)
Brummelchen

Re: Firefox SESSION MANAGER - Restoration after upgrade!

Post by Brummelchen »

Last edited by Brummelchen on September 21st, 2017, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Brummelchen linked to the German version of the Session Manager extension, but here's the English version if you prefer it: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search

Be aware though that it will stop working when FF57 is released in November.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

there exist no special german version, its only the german site - my bad, i corrected to en-us

as webextension go "Tab-saver", not automatic but usable.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... tab-saver/
YborChach

Post by YborChach »

Thanks I think....<g> I did add a new Session Manager to the new upgraded Mozilla Firefox Browser. It offers options to "Import/Export" - saved files I think, I hope. Whereas my older version of Firefox with it's Session Manager was set up to save my Tab Sessions throughout the day every day (I did set it up to do so) - I assumed that this situation could not happen to me. Therefore - with this new Browser and Session Manager - I tried to "Import" my saved Tab Sessions (so I thought) yet, I couldn't find where to grab them. Now I don't know if they were ever saved to my computer or not - where in my computer do I find them so that I can "Import" them now into my new Browser/Session Manager if in fact they had been saved? What would the files be called?
YborChach

Post by YborChach »

I guess what I am asking is very simple - Is there a way to pull in my saved Tab Sessions that I had created (I had five different Tab Sessions saved with each housing anywhere from 5 to 20 tabs within each Session). I thought that this plugin tool "Session Manager" enabled users to save their Tab Sessions no matter what.... I'm trying to find out if I'm going to be able to find the "saved sessions" from the prior/older Browser version and prior Session Manager attached to that older Browser and pull them into the new updated Browser and new added Session Manager or am I going to have to rebuild these suckers again....sigh I'm desperately trying to RECOVER my Session Tabs that appear to have disappeared once my Firefox Browser updated itself. Thanks!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Recovering your previous sessions would depend on how you were saving them in the first place. Were you using Firefox's built in session management or an installed extension such as the identically named Session Manager, the Tab Saver extension suggested above or the session saving functionality of TabMix Plus? If you used an extension the restoration files might be different from the standard one.
YborChach

Post by YborChach »

Thank You Dan - it would appear that I used the Session Manager Extension option. I don't know or no one informed me about a "Firefox built in session management" option. What is that? Does it work like the "Session Manager" extension plugin does? It's becoming a bit confusing now....<g>

I did find the "saved" files on my computer from my previous Browser and previous Session Manager associated with that older version Browser yesterday. The files where found in a folder called "Old Firefox Data" and I found a folder inside called "Sessions" and when I opened that folder all of the lost "Sessions" I need are in that folder. They are called "backup-12.session" (lot's of them are in there and are identified by different numbers). Each of them are called "SESSION File."

However - when I try to import them through the new Session Manager associated with the updated Browser, they are not visible. Which is weird because I can see them from my computer but the Session Manager "extension" I have installed now into this new Browser cannot see them to import them. I am further confused. These files are called "Session Files" but cannot be seen by the "Import Option" within the Session Manager extension....

Do you have any suggestions and/or directions? I would be very gratefull to somehow get all of these saved Sessions reinstalled into my new Browser and new Session Manager.
YborChach

Post by YborChach »

To offer further info that might help you help me - these are the steps I have taken to point:

- Within the "Extensions" option inside of Firefox Settings it shows "Sessions Manager" installed.
- Upon clicking the "Option" selection for "Sessions Manager" it opens a "Sessions Manager Option" popup window.
- Inside this window at the bottom it shows 2 option segments. One is "Import Sessions from...." and "Import/Export Settings"
- Under "Import Sessions from...." it shows two options: "Tab Mix Plus" and also "Session Saver>"
- When I click on "Session Saver" it opens a popup window that states "No existing SessionSaver sessions were found in browser. Do you want to convert a pre-existing archive file? Yes or No"
- When I click "yes" it opens up a Windows Window from my computer to choose a file.
- I look for the file I mentioned I found yesterday "Old Firefox Data" and select it and then inside that file I select the "Sessions" folder and see nothing to grab inside that folder.

This is where I am at in my process to restore my old "saved" Sessions. I don't understand why I can see the actual individual "Sessions" that were in fact "backed up" onto my computer from my computer but they are not visible to the "Sessions Manager" option to "Import".....

I am hopeful that you or someone can explain and assist me with this quandary. Thanks!
YborChach

Post by YborChach »

Oops! I think I did not actually answer your very simple question but instead provided a lot of info on my experiences and discovery to date - sorry!

Your question:
Recovering your previous sessions would depend on how you were saving them in the first placeRecovering your previous sessions would depend on how you were saving them in the first place...

My answer:
Via the Session Manager extension I had at the time. I programmed it to save all my sessions daily various times of the day. It backed them onto my computer.....

Ok...shutting up now - that's all I've got!
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

the tabmix plus session manager is crap - and buggy. thats why i use to used moracs session manager (as i linked).
but there is no API yet for SM in firefox 57 so i changed to Tab Saver which is not compatible to SM data/files.
for some reason you can also use OneTab whee you can add tabs to groups (lock/unlock/delete/restore)

storing sessions outside firefox is no good idea from my view - it needs firefox to be shut down aso - handling insiede firefox is much more convenient. maybe your solutions consists a profile backup what is done here seperatly.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

the tabmix plus session manager is crap - and buggy.
Interesting. I've been using it for the past couple of years without any problems at all.

YborChach, rather than trying to import those files, you may be able to substitute one of them for the session.rdf, assuming you have that file. Try copying the newest of the backup-NN.session files and pasting it into the profile directory. Then rename session.rdf to sessionrdf.old and rename backup-NN.session to session.rdf.
YborChach

Post by YborChach »

Wow! I would love to try what you are suggesting Dan - however, I haven't got clue as to what you are talking about.

What and where is the "profile directory?"
Where (if I even have them) would I find "session.rdf" files? I ran a search on my computer for them and nothing came up....sigh

I wish there was an ability for me to send you or upload a "screen shot" of what I have found and where it is located on my computer.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

See this to learn about posting a screen shot to the forum: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum

See this for the location of the profile folder -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

YborChach wrote:I did find the "saved" files on my computer from my previous Browser and previous Session Manager associated with that older version Browser yesterday. The files where found in a folder called "Old Firefox Data" and I found a folder inside called "Sessions" and when I opened that folder all of the lost "Sessions" I need are in that folder. They are called "backup-12.session" (lot's of them are in there and are identified by different numbers). Each of them are called "SESSION File." .
That's great. Now do the following:
Launch the new browser (55.0.3), type about:support in the address bar, press Enter, press "Open profile folder"
There should be "sessions" folder - that's where Session Manager stores its sessions. Open this folder. If this folder is missing, create it. Now select all the session files that you found (backup-12.session, etc) and paste them into sessions folder.

Click on Session Manager icon (blue diskette) - click on the dropdown menu in the upper left corner and select Load, all your session will be there. Also, Session manager doesn't see .session files because Import is supposed to import sessions saved by Tab Mix Plus (as far as I remember but the idea is that import mechanism is not designed to import session manager sessions, you should manually copy .session files into sessions folder).
Sorry for my poor English.