Firefox SESSION MANAGER - Restoration after upgrade!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Brummelchen

Re: Firefox SESSION MANAGER - Restoration after upgrade!

Post by Brummelchen »

@Dan - i used it also but some time it went wild and buggy, cannot explain, its years ago, i dont remember*. you can ask several people in the german forum and they would repeat my words. its not reliable and thus i switched.

* my backups tell me i did not used it with firefox 3.6 but its present in firefox 4 - thats a long time ago. sm was build 0.7.x
YborChach

Post by YborChach »

OM Goodness DAN and GHM113!

I did it! This is how THANKS to both of you inspiring me and guiding me with info and directions I sorely needed!

First Off:

When this first happened to me once my darn electricity came back on after Hurricane Irma and I found that during the bump-up of my computer and software somehow Fire Fox had updated itself and I lost all of my Sessions plus the actual extension SESSION MANAGER - I researched and discovered that I had to create an account with Mozilla Fire Fox.

Once I did that, I loaded the extension SESSION MANAGER to it. Following all that DAN and now you have directed, I found the PROFILE section within Fire Fox which surprisingly led me to the c drive of my computer whereby Fire Fox loads all of my Sessions via SESSION MANAGER'S back-up functions. When I discovered this via Windows Explorer, I realized that my OLD FIRE FOX BACKUP FILES which had all of my saved sessions that I had lost was on my Desktop and not inside my hard drive located in the Mozilla Fire Fox section.

I realized at that moment that this is why the process to "Import" via Session Manager was not seeing them. So, I tested copying all of those saved and dated back-up files for the folder on the desk top to the Mozilla Fire Fox file called sessions on my hard drive. And OMG! It worked!! I can now access all of my old sessions via the newly installed and upgraded Fire Fox and Session Manager extension.

They are finally not lost and/or deleted. They are all there and I can now access all of them. WHAT A HUGE RELIEF!! So, now having setup everything inside my Mozilla Fire Fox Account and now knowing where the Session Manager back-ups land inside my c drive - I am praying that this never happens to me again.

DO ANY OF YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE for me to make sure this does not happen to me again? I noted above that blogger REFLECTIVE stated that Fire Fox "FF57" will be released this November 2017. OUCH! I do not want to go through all of this again. Do you know if it does update my present (recently updated) browser FF55.0.3 version in November (less than 2 months from now) to version FF57 - will I lose all of my new settings and also my Session Manager, etc.....?

Is there anyway to stop Fire Fox from doing an automatic update/upgrade of my present FF version? Is there somewhere I can go inside my FF Account and change settings so that I can control it by deciding if I want to update or not?

Will the fact that I now have a FF Account - will this protect my settings and Session Manager Files, settings et al...from changing or disappearing if my browser gets updated?

I would appreciate your wise words and directions please!

Again, Thank You EVERYONE so much for all of your help!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I'm not sure what you mean by a FF (actually FX for Firefox) account. A profile is not an account. It's not really necessary to have an account associated with Mozilla or Firefox to use the browser.

The coming update to version 57.0 will make many (most) existing extensions obsolete and non-functional. A new type of add-on called Web Extensions will be used (there are already some available now) and the old extensions may require total rewrites by their authors if they are to be maintained. Many authors will not commit the time for that and some may find that the elements they used in the old extension form will not be available in version 57.

To block updates, use menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->Update->select "Never check for updates". Also, close Firefox and navigate to the Firefox profile folder ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox ) and look for an executable file called Mozilla Maintenance Service and disable that as per the article.

To be able to recover from any such incidents in the future, backup, backup, backup. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

YborChach wrote:DO ANY OF YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE for me to make sure this does not happen to me again? I noted above that blogger REFLECTIVE stated that Fire Fox "FF57" will be released this November 2017. OUCH! I do not want to go through all of this again. Do you know if it does update my present (recently updated) browser FF55.0.3 version in November (less than 2 months from now) to version FF57 - will I lose all of my new settings and also my Session Manager, etc.....?
FF57 uses new addon ecosystem, that means all current addons need to be updated in order to be compatible with new system, otherwise they won't work. Unfortunately, Session Manager still hasn't been updated, that means you will no longer be able to use Session Manager and will loose access from Firefox 57 to all your saved sessions after Firefox updates to 57. Session files shouldn't be deleted, however. The reason why Session Manager hasn't been updated is simple: it is impossible to write a session manager for Firefox 57+ using new addon ecosystem, it is simply not good enough for that.

Mozilla is planning to improve addon ecosystem up to the point when Session Manager 57+ is possible but nobody knows when that will happen. Here are the links to two key bugs that Session Manager 57+ needs so you can monitor progress:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1378651
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1378647

Now about what you can do to save your data:
1. Restore all your sessions one by one and save all tabs as bookmarks using right-click - Bookmark all tabs. Note this command saves only the contents of the active window so if you have multiple windows you have to save each one of them manually
2. Install Firefox ESR that fully supports Session manager. Mozilla will release security updates for ESR until summer 2018
Sorry for my poor English.
Graf

Post by Graf »

Cause other topic for Session Manager is locked, I will write here, recently I have noticed that Session Manager began to overload processor and memory for ~ 2 minutes (is meant processor time) after restarting Firefox, and this overload is precisely due to Session Manager, cause if I not open needed session file, I won't get any overload a few minutes after restart, I saved the report after Firefox crash:
AdapterDeviceID: 0x6758
AdapterVendorID: 0x1002
AvailablePageFile: 4149248
AvailablePhysicalMemory: 761884672
AvailableVirtualMemory: 2956894208
BIOS_Manufacturer: American Megatrends Inc.
BlockedDllList:
BreakpadReserveAddress: 44498944
BreakpadReserveSize: 37748736
BuildID: 20140314220517
CrashTime: 1412375100
EMCheckCompatibility: true
FramePoisonBase: 00000000f0de0000
FramePoisonSize: 65536
InstallTime: 1395464321
Notes: AdapterVendorID: 0x1002, AdapterDeviceID: 0x6758, AdapterSubsysID: 04431043, AdapterDriverVersion: 13.101.0.0
D2D? D2D+ DWrite? DWrite+ D3D10 Layers? D3D10 Layers+
OOMAllocationSize: 1024
ProductID: {ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}
ProductName: Firefox
ReleaseChannel: release
SecondsSinceLastCrash: -12684
StartupTime: 1412387833
SystemMemoryUsePercentage: 82
Theme: classic/1.0
Throttleable: 1
TotalVirtualMemory: 4294836224
User32BeforeBlocklist: 1
Vendor: Mozilla
Version: 28.0
Winsock_LSP: MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] : 2 : 1 :
MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] : 2 : 2 : %SystemRoot%\system32\mswsock.dll
MSAFD Tcpip [RAW/IP] : 2 : 3 :
MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IPv6] : 2 : 1 : %SystemRoot%\system32\mswsock.dll
MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IPv6] : 2 : 2 :
MSAFD Tcpip [RAW/IPv6] : 2 : 3 : %SystemRoot%\system32\mswsock.dll
Поставщик услуг RSVP TCPv6 : 2 : 1 :
Поставщик услуг RSVP TCP : 2 : 1 : %SystemRoot%\system32\mswsock.dll
Поставщик услуг RSVP UDPv6 : 2 : 2 :
Поставщик услуг RSVP UDP : 2 : 2 : %SystemRoot%\system32\mswsock.dll
useragent_locale: ru

besides very often I see it has problems with session saving, up to damaging session file, here is one screen with an error:

urgently need a fix to not get a such error
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Are you actually using version 28 of Firefox?
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Looks like it :?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

not using current firefox which supports SM will end up into failure (latest SM for v28 was 0.8.1.7 from july 2015)
topic was locked for reason but why should some support such old browser with all its disadvantages?
further - SM got no development since june 2017, a year ago.
Graf

Post by Graf »

DanRaisch wrote:Are you actually using version 28 of Firefox?
yes, I use it, sorry for late answer
malliz wrote:
Looks like it :?
what options or improvements has newer version, which hasn't in version 28? I have doubt that newer version would fully arrange me, especially in my needs
Brummelchen wrote:topic was locked for reason but why should some support such old browser with all its disadvantages?
for example, what disadvantages do you mean?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

what options or improvements has newer version, which hasn't in version 28? I have doubt that newer version would fully arrange me, especially in my needs
Better performance and a load of security fixes.

quote]for example, what disadvantages do you mean?[/quote]
Well, for one thing, all of those unpatched security issues.