FF 55.0.3 wont download files to selected folder.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

FF 55.0.3 wont download files to selected folder.

Post by 3315 »

Hi,

New install of FF 55.0.3 won't download files to selected folder. It downloads to the download folder win 7 creates, not the folder I set up under "options". Ive used this method since FF was first introduced & it worked fine. How do I fix this?

regards,

DanRaisch

Re: FF 55.0.3 wont download files to selected folder.

Post by DanRaisch »

Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

download folders are stored per site. go about:permissions and open site settings - or click the "i" in address bar > arrow right -> "More Informations" > permisisons-tab
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/co ... ty-firefox
therube

Post by therube »

Unless you specify otherwise in about:preferences, FF defaults to downloading to "Downloads".
Selecting instead, Always ask me where to save files, should then do that, & along with that (also by default) to remember the used download location - by domain.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

firefox 57 dont has any setting- idd at first it takes users default download folder: %userprofile&\Downloads (in a windows environement)

upgrading my profile hast lost:

Code: Select all

user_pref("browser.download.dir", "<folder>");
user_pref("browser.download.lastDir", "<folder>");
i load i an secure box, no outbreak possible.

Post by 3315 »

Hi,

Thanks for you replies.

I think the problem may be that this version does not like to download to a drive partition like I use as to a folder.

Since the mid 2000's & I always enabled "Save files to D:" which is a DRIVE partition on my PC. I had no problems with downloads until I upgraded to 55.0.3 32 bit on W7 Pro 32 bit. Using Win Download folder buried deep in C drive is a poor place for downloads. Introduces errors & takes too much time to reach in a fast moving data mgmt busn like mine as my work covers dozens of disparate venues.

If I create a Download folder on drive D, & direct FF to download to it, that seems to work, but its still cattiwampus.

Regards,
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

possible that a root directory is not allowed, then change it. ofc it makes sense not to download to a root dir.
but - using firefox 57 let me chose eg E:\ and is downloading there with save as - i see also when not prompting.
maybe they have fixed or you have insuffient rights on the root. (needs: auth user, system, Admins, user)

Post by 3315 »

Hi,

I think I got FF to download where I want it to: my D: DOWNLOADS partition. It took me a while to fool FF; as I: made a sub-folder 3 times (different names) under the D partition. Then I re-named the D partition WAREHOUSE, then: DUMPING GROUND, & DOWNLOADS again with out removing the last sub-folder named DOWN2.

Then I re-booted, started over naming the D partition DOWNLOADS as it was named for almost 10 yr in FF with no sub-folder at all. That didn't work. Then I had a brainstorm, remembering that I had an old backup my D: DOWNLOADS which I copied the the new D: DOWNLOADS folder. Then I went on the net a downloaded an file containing W7 icons. IT WORKED.

Conclusion, since the update of the new ver of FF did not have any files in My orig D: DOWNLOADS folder, FF felt slighted & would not download files where it hadn't been or wasn't wanted.

Now was simple. Why cant solutions to FF & TB be that simple?

Regards,

Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

your solution is only valid for your system - i tried to point that out. check the rights!!!

Post by 3315 »

Brummelchen,

A board member a few weeks ago recommended I upgrade to solve another FF problem and when I hit the upgrade, FF v 55.0.3 downloaded. I installed it and it removed my current FF and installed 55.0.3. You said and the other guys mentioned FF 57. My version works now & I'm using it.

Thanks,

PS: I selected Notify when a reply is posted & it's not working. Any thoughts?? I've participated on scores tech & other forums for almost 30 yrs. with limited problems. However for some reason the Mozilla TB & FF is generally problematic, mor than the rest. ??? Can you advise?
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

i did another test right now with v55.0.3 (current and fresh profile) and download is put into root folder. good it has been fixed for you. i also had same test with v554 and v56 and v57 (working profile) and no difference. my profiles are old (seperated for each version).

your copy and paste actions forth and back are concernd to rights, not to the destinations. if you have redirected user download folder (c:\users\<user>\Downloads) then its definetly a rights issue - in special when you have set up windows from scratch.

for the notifications please ask here
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=11