No more toolbar button extention, need a new bookmark button

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
love10001212

No more toolbar button extention, need a new bookmark button

Post by love10001212 »

HI all - this has been driving me nuts and I feel like I'm missing something simple...

For many years I customized my toolbar with the toolbar buttons extention and added both a quick bookmark, and regular bookmark buttons in between my address bar and search bar. All was good.

This past update rendered that extention useless (does something but not this anymore - icons do not get added in customize like before.)

So I am back to the default "bookmark this page / show bookmarks" button which as far as I can see ONLY puts the bookmarks into the other folder (which I don't use and want gone, but different thread :)

How do I get a simple quick bookmark and/or bookmark this page buttons without the default other bookmark location? Any working extentions left?

Thanks!!!
lovemyfoxy

Re: No more toolbar button extention, need a new bookmark bu

Post by lovemyfoxy »

"So I am back to the default "bookmark this page / show bookmarks" button which as far as I can see ONLY puts the bookmarks into the other folder (which I don't use and want gone, but different thread :)"

55 changed a lot of things. Lots of complaints here, and rightly so. I also use Toolbar Buttons, both here and in Thunderbird, but I'm on the ESR channel.

I have all the topic folders in the bookmark bar, and instead of "bookmark this," I drag 'n' drop each bookmark into the proper folder. What do you mean by "the other folder"?
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
love10001212

Post by love10001212 »

I drag too, but it's a pain and I bm so much that I need my trusty button back :(

When I click on the ribbon icon (is that what it is?) it will bookmark that link into the other bookmarks folder that is stuck in the bookmarks drop down - I know there is a CSS way to remove that but it didn't work for me, and I assume that still wouldn't change the default location of that icon anyway

I just need any type of button to put on the toolbar that puts the link into the main "bookmarks menu" so when I drop it down, that link is at the very end. Toolbar buttons used to allow me to drag a "quick bookmark" and "bookmark" button from customize into the toolbar but now those don't show up when I try to do that.

Thanks!
love10001212

Post by love10001212 »

Or, is there a way to make this default to the bookmarks menu without having to manually switch every time?

lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

love10001212 wrote:I drag too, but it's a pain and I bm so much that I need my trusty button back :(

When I click on the ribbon icon (is that what it is?) it will bookmark that link into the other bookmarks folder that is stuck in the bookmarks drop down - I know there is a CSS way to remove that but it didn't work for me, and I assume that still wouldn't change the default location of that icon anyway

I just need any type of button to put on the toolbar that puts the link into the main "bookmarks menu" so when I drop it down, that link is at the very end. Toolbar buttons used to allow me to drag a "quick bookmark" and "bookmark" button from customize into the toolbar but now those don't show up when I try to do that.

Thanks!
I have no ribbon icon, and I'm not following you. My bookmark bar has topic folders like this:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=mtnq4p&s=9
Are you dropping all your bookmarks into one huge folder or one of many small folders? Or do you want them to be listed chronologically, with the latest always at the end?

If you want to hold onto Toolbar Buttons a year longer, switch to FF 52ESR, using XUL till mid-2018. Otherwise any button you can make now will be lost after FF 56 anyway.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
love10001212

Post by love10001212 »

Sorry, I didnt make it clear - I have been bookmarking all into the main bookmark menu itself, with the latest one bookmarked at the very bottom. So when I click on bookmarks at the top in the menu, I will see all my folders going down and the loose bookmarks below all the folders, with the most recent one at the very bottom.

I like to keep the recent 5-10 on the bottom, then eventually they get moved into folders or deleted or kept there as "current" ones. So when I click the "bookmark" button, I expect it will be last on the list - now, it's going into "other bookmarks" and I have to drag them out one by one, or manually change the location in the drop down when I click the button.

Thanks!
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

currently there exist NO extension to do this for you. "add bookmark here2" is also failing. you have to use the drop-down marker right side to chose your folder.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

love10001212--you explained it just fine the 2nd time. Everyone uses such a different UI in FF. Try this one, which is compatible with v. 57:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... t-justtest

And try this:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ookmarking
love10001212

Post by love10001212 »

Thanks, I like the quick add/remove functionality of this one, however- it puts them in the same "other bookmarks" folder :(

Is there a way to change which folder that sends them to?

It is so frustrating, there are all these useless and random iconds in customize but nothing that will do this

Pile made my theme go crazy, but it seems it adds it's own folder, correct?
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

bookmark-it sends to "other bookmarks", no options (tested it when i wrote here) - and pile seems also to have a fixed folder. as i wrote the is currently nothing.

#spelling
Last edited by Brummelchen on September 26th, 2017, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

You're back to drag n drop. I went through all 48 pages of Bookmark extensions for you. Any button that would work would be gone in v. 57 anyway. We all have to make compromises, and that's life. Your other options:
Use Waterfox, use FF 52ESR, or use SeaMonkey while they're still using XUL.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I just found the codefisher page by accident. You can look ta the forums to see what can and cannot be recreated.
Note: this is not on the AMO site, so it's unsigned, although I've gotten around that.

https://codefisher.org/toolbar_button/
love10001212

Post by love10001212 »

Thank you so much for your time, much appreciated. It seems like something so simple right! I will try out codefisher.

Interestingly, I just figured out that if you right click on a page and use that icon on the right of the top bar, it DOES put that bm into the bookmarks menu by default! How strange. This maybe the workaround though...
love10001212

Post by love10001212 »

Ok stuck at "firefox has prevented this from installing" message - I do have compatibility check ext which usually works, but not this time
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

did you really tried to install the toolbar buttons 1.1 against your experience above? OMG let me out of here.