MozillaZine

Four Firefoxes running in Task Manager

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Ortho_Fan

Post Posted September 28th, 2017, 9:34 am

I just upgraded to Firefox 56.0 and called up Windows Task Manager. There are now four listings for Firefox running. In the previous version there were two. Does anyone know if this is by design, or a bug? It doesn't seem to impact memory, etc.

OF

Brummelchen

Post Posted September 28th, 2017, 10:03 am

purpose ;)
--> multi-process
not sure if you can change the # in settings like firefox 57.
4 is default now

Ortho_Fan

Post Posted September 28th, 2017, 10:07 am

Brummelchen wrote:purpose ;)
--> multi-process
not sure if you can change the # in settings like firefox 57.
4 is default now

Many thanks! One less thing to fret about.

OF

Mark12547

Post Posted September 28th, 2017, 12:35 pm

Yes, in 56 (Release Channel), one can change the number of content processes:

Options -> General, scroll down to "Performance", UN-check "Use recommended performance settings". This will reveal two more settings, one of which is "Content process limit:" with a pull-down where one can select between 1 and 7 content processes. (If 7 isn't enough, one can use about:config" on the address bar, then in the Preferences screen look for dom.ipc.processCount and set that as one desires.)

There have been a few tweaks on what the default number of content processes is, and in 56 in the Release Channel it looks like it is 1 content process if one has extensions, and I think it still defaults to 4 if there aren't any extensions. Most of my experience with 56 was when it was in Nightly, so I'm a bit unsure what defaults remained in place when 56 went through Beta and finally landed in Release.

Generally there will be one or two more Firefox processes than the number of content processes one is using: there is the main/UI process, and there is usually also a gui process (to make use of "hardware acceleration"). And, if the number of content processes hasn't reached the limit, I know Mozilla has been mulling over having an additional content process already started, just to speed up opening a new tab, but I haven't been following that Bug to know if a decision had been made and if that had landed in Release 56.

dickvl

Post Posted September 28th, 2017, 8:01 pm

Note that easiest to locate items on about:preferences is to use its search bar (> perform).
Then you wont have to worry under what tab and in what position it appears.

Mark12547

Post Posted September 28th, 2017, 8:43 pm

dickvl wrote:Note that easiest to locate items on about:preferences is to use its search bar (> perform).
Then you wont have to worry under what tab and in what position it appears.

But you would still need to know it is under perform and that you have to UN-check "Use recommended performance setting".

If you tried to search on "content" or "process" (that is, if we know it is "content process limit"), you won't find it if "Use recommended performance setting" is checked. (Bug 1373447)

Return to Firefox Support