MozillaZine

Disabling Sync between profiles on same computer

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jtreagan

Post Posted September 30th, 2017, 11:22 am

I use four profiles on my Windows 10 desktop. I'm an author and when dealing with the profile I use for my writing it would make life simpler if the bookmarks & settings in Firefox were not synced with the other three. I'm having a hard time making that work. I tried going to that profile and logging out of my Firefox sync account, and then creating a separate account using a different email. I get back a message asking if I really want to do this as the account for the other three profiles will automatically be merged with my new one. That defeats my purpose.

How can I do this?

Thanks!
John T. Reagan

Reflective

Post Posted October 1st, 2017, 6:27 am

You could try disabling the settings in about:config in the profile you don't want synced as described on this site: https://www.stigviewer.com/stig/mozilla ... ng/V-57673

the-edmeister

Post Posted October 1st, 2017, 12:24 pm

jtreagan wrote:I use four profiles on my Windows 10 desktop. I'm an author and when dealing with the profile I use for my writing it would make life simpler if the bookmarks & settings in Firefox were not synced with the other three. I'm having a hard time making that work. I tried going to that profile and logging out of my Firefox sync account, and then creating a separate account using a different email. I get back a message asking if I really want to do this as the account for the other three profiles will automatically be merged with my new one. That defeats my purpose.

How can I do this?

Thanks!

Are you sure that is the message that you are getting? I am surprised that the Sync server would even mention the number of other Profiles that are connected to a new Sync account.

I have never seen that and I was running 3 separate Sync accounts as recently as 2 years ago; all that was mentioned was that any existing data would be synchronized and that was when I connected a 2nd (new) Profile to an existing Sync account.

Yes, that was when running Sync between different Profiles on the same desktop PC and using Sync to synchronize Firefox Release, Beta, WedDev, and Nightly Profiles in a testing environment for Sync to follow the changes to the Sync service. But when I built a new PC in 2015 I stopped "testing" Sync in that manner; the POS (that Sync is) missed so much data (especially minor preferences) in what was sync'd to the newly built PC that I gave up on using it. So, I am not familiar with any changes made to Sync recently.

Bookmarks and Preferences (IOW "settings") can be disabled in Options > Sync in that "writing" Profile while every thing else can be sync'd with the other 3 Profiles. No real need for a 2nd Sync account.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.

Return to Firefox Support