MozillaZine

Firefox 56.0 disables features

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jhaber3

Post Posted October 1st, 2017, 8:07 am

I've already posted my disappointment at marking of every darn one of my add-ons as legacy, on the way to removing them all in November. (A board manager closed my post and merged it into a much more technical post/comment train that I can't even begin to follow.) But just today, an upgrade taking me to 56.0 (in Windows 10) is starting to kill options.

First, while I like the new look of the Options menus well enough (or couldn't care less, really), the checkbox that makes Firefox the default browser is now grayed out. That means that, if Mozilla kills the features I want, I'll have no choice but to uninstall it entirely rather than keeping it for additional use. Rats.

Second, it's now requiring that I log into my password saver, Lastpass, each time I start Firefox, just in order to get to use site passwords. That's a significant disruption, akin to not having them saved at all (since what's the point in saving if you have to log in?). Note that Lastpass still works in chrome. And don't reply, if you would, that you don't like Lastpass. I installed it only so that I could start preparing Chrome for use, fearing November. So double rats.

Any hope?

DanRaisch

Post Posted October 1st, 2017, 8:09 am

That means that, if Mozilla kills the features I want, I'll have no choice but to uninstall it entirely rather than keeping it for additional use.

Not so. The default browser is actually controlled by Windows and the option to make any other browser the default would still be available to you under Windows Settings->Apps->Defaults.

therube

Post Posted October 1st, 2017, 8:45 am

the checkbox that makes Firefox the default browser is now grayed out

Wouldn't that mean that FF is your default browser?
And if FF were not, then the checkbox would become enabled?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

Vitesse

Post Posted October 1st, 2017, 9:42 am

If you haven't ticked the 'remember login' box on the LastPass login window then you should expect that behaviour. It's not Firefox telling you to do that, it's LastPass. (Which has, incidentally, deteriorated into a complete and utter POS since it was sold to LogMeIn - even their development version doesn't work with Firefox 57 - try Bitwarden instead. Similar interface, works better!)

jhaber3

Post Posted October 1st, 2017, 2:33 pm

First, thanks to everyone.

Dan, I'll look into Windows settings, but in the past Firefox options were able to implement that setting. After all, it offered the option to make it the default when I installed it (and in the past the box was not grayed out). Chrome still has in its options the choice to make it the default browser, although I haven't tried it to see if then the setting changes and the Firefox box becomes unchecked.

Therube, yes, Firefox is my default browser. I merely noted that its being grayed out means I no longer have the option to uncheck it, although I"ll definitely explore alternatives given that Firefox is making life harder.

And Vitesse, that's not right. First I do have the remember login box checked, and I've verified it's still checked. (And I've verified that the boxes to log out on exiting the browser or when idle are still unchecked.) Second, even if that box were unchecked, I'd lose autofill but still have the saved passwords that currently aren't showing. Third, the change in behavior happened this morning upon update of Firefox, not because Lastpass did anything. And fourth, the behavior in Chrome hasn't changed. So no, on several scores it's not the fault of Lastpass. (Whether I'd benefit from a move to another plug-in and could import the passwords into it easily for both browsers I just don't know. I'll explore, but I'm quite happy with Lastpass. I'm just not happy that Firefox is discontinuing all six of my plug-ins, in this case the one that I installed only because Firefox was discontinuing the other five plug-ins! I was happy before with the remembered password feature in Firefox without a plug-in, but I had to be prepared for giving up the browser.)

jscher2000

Post Posted October 1st, 2017, 3:06 pm

If you need to disable Firefox from checking whether it is the default browser:

(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button promising to be careful or accepting the risk.

(2) In the search box above the list, type or paste defa and pause while the list is filtered

(3) Double-click the browser.shell.checkDefaultBrowser preference to switch the value from true to false

Return to Firefox Support