How to Change New Bookmark Placement to the Top of Folder

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
dougjp

How to Change New Bookmark Placement to the Top of Folder

Post by dougjp »

I had asked this in another bookmark related thread, however still don't know how to fix this. When adding a new bookmark, it goes to the bottom of the list of bookmarks in the folder I choose. There, its out of sight in a long list, and I feel to be useful a bookmark must be added to the top of the list (latest added bookmarks first). Just like a Forum has the latest threads at the top, and pretty well anything else.

Oddly enough, other browsers' default IS to add a new bookmark to the top (eg: Opera). So Firefox is opposite from others, and logic IMO.

With "Add Bookmark Here", that add on did fix the problem, however now that it doesn't work its back to the default. And like Firefox 56, Firefox ESR also doesn't allow Add Bookmark Here to work, presumably because an updated version for later Firefox is all that is available. Does Firefox 57 fix this, ie; cause bookmarks to add to the top of a list, or is it the same? Is there any way to fix this in either Firefox ESR and/or Firefox 56 and 57?

Also I notice that a cumbersome after the fact potential work-around, "Show All Bookmarks", then "Views - Sort, Sort By Added" doesn't work - once finished the sort and close, its back to no change in the order. At least in ESR.
jscher2000

Re: How to Change New Bookmark Placement to the Top of Folde

Post by jscher2000 »

Views in the Library window are only for that window. The only feature for changing the physical sort order of bookmarks is Sort by Name.

There are extensions for Chrome that run on a loop and look for out-of-order bookmarks and re-sort the folder. That's not as good as changing Firefox's behavior in real time, but assuming those extensions are easily ported to Firefox in the near future, you would at least have that option. Alternately, I can imagine someone adding an extension button you could use instead of the built-in bookmark this page feature, which would just do it the way you want the first time and avoid the overhead of constantly polling for changes in the background.

(I'm not an extension developer so I have no idea what would be involved.)
Last edited by jscher2000 on October 1st, 2017, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

in short: no
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Always been that way with Places which is why I never use {Ctrl + D} or a Bookmark This Page menu item or toolbar button. I just drag'n'drop the tab into the Bookmarks Sidebar into the location that I want the new bookmark saved.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.