Cellphone Videos Won't Play On FB

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Wiggam72

Cellphone Videos Won't Play On FB

Post by Wiggam72 »

I'm baffled. I've addressed this in the past and never got an answer to fix the problem. All cellphone videos including one that I put on FB won't play. At that point. I only tried it with FF and IE. What's different, is this time I installed Chrome. I uninstalled Chrome on my PC years ago.

I went to FB using Chrome and the videos played with no problem! :?

So what's going on? Why doesn't it work using FF and IE? Obviously it isn't a graphics/card issue on my PC.

Here is a screenshot of how the video looks when I try to play them when I use FF and IE.

Wiggam72

Re: Cellphone Videos Won't Play On FB

Post by Wiggam72 »

I forgot to add that the audio works. Also, I tried using a new Profile and I have several old Profiles saved. None of them work.

I decided to give Safe Mode a try again. For some reason, this time since the last time I asked for help in the past, Safe Mode works.

It still doesn't explain why the same thing (video not working) happens in IE but not Chrome. Any ideas?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Try your regular profile with Hardware Acceleration disabled. Menu path Tools->Options->General->uncheck "Use hardware acceleration when available."
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

After changing the settings, I had to close FF and reopen it for it work. You came to the rescue again!! Thanks Dan!! =D>

I know that something must have changed with FF because this didn't happen until about a year ago or so. Is this problem normal and does this mean that something needs to be adjusted on my PC, FB or FF to alleviate this problem?

Also, is there a downside to not having Hardware Acceleration enabled? The FF settings say that when enabled, it's supposed to use it when available which implies to me that it will only use it when needed.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It's hard to say why this became an issue for you. Hardware acceleration has been "on" by default in Firefox a long time. However updates to Windows and particularly updates to video drivers may cause previously working settings to become problematic. If you aren't seeing problems with the videos that are now working (dropped frames, stuttering, etc.) then no having hardware acceleration on is not important.
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

Ah, I see. Then it appears that it happened because of a driver update. I've had many over the past year and a half. I thought it could also have been because FF or FB changed something. So many things have broken due to new FF updates.
therube

Post by therube »

(That is similar to what I was seeing - with Flash, in Full Screen, http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14769294.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript